Buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
turtlemann2 said:
woah 25 watt is low! aim for a 65-100 watt usually you dont need a 100 watt but i have both i leave the 65 watt red lamp on all the time and turn the 100 watt white light on during the day, as for the heat pad you need to get that outta there! heat pads transfer heat from the bottom and easily burn the plastrom of your turt, im not saying you need to freak out but you do need to remove it, especially after you get him(her?) back on substright this is because boxies burrow down to keep cool and to sleep.

The heat pad is only in a small corner. And he LOVES it. It does not get that hot. It is one that is made for them and he seems to be on it all the time?

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago IL
I agree that 25 watts is way too low . As for the heat pad, I also agree that it should be thrown away ! First off they are a fire hazard , second off, turtles warm themselves up from basking in the sun, I would guarentee that if u increase the wattage of the light in the basking area that the turtle would not care about the heat pad, he probably only goes there because he is cold! As for your tank , what size is it ? And mainly what is the height ?

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
pryncesssc said:
I agree that 25 watts is way too low . As for the heat pad, I also agree that it should be thrown away ! First off they are a fire hazard , second off, turtles warm themselves up from basking in the sun, I would guarentee that if u increase the wattage of the light in the basking area that the turtle would not care about the heat pad, he probably only goes there because he is cold! As for your tank , what size is it ? And mainly what is the height ?

Well good thing I'm going to the store tomorrow. Sorry I'm being a pain in the ***. I'm still learning, but thanks for puttin up with it haha. Well the height is about 2feet but the light hangs down to about 14 inches because it's one that clips..

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
no worries, your not a pain in the ***! this is a turtle forum and its so busy because were all "weird" and like talking about turtles LOL were special, trust me i dont know it all no one here does were all learning, from each other :) what works what doesnt :) its a community :p

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
UPDATE!!
went the pet store last night and got a 100 watt basking light and a 5.0 UVB light. He seems to like basking more now!! I also got a mister and a new substrate for when his feet are better healed!

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
Awesome.....glad he's likes the light now...can we see a pic of him?

Status
Not open for further replies.