Buddy

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
Well I went to the vet today. Poor guy has an infection on his feet so I need to put a creme on there 3 times a day for a while. Poor thing. Also he is very dry so I have to soak him and use a fogger so the humidity goes up. However whenever I use the fogger, he flinches like hes scared of something. So should I discontinue that use? Okay so For the food the vet recommended kale and collard greens for a lettuce base and green pepper and carrots and only fruit occasionally.. I also need to up his protein which won't be a problem. Are these food choices okay for him?

Turtlechasers

10 Year Member!
What king of tortiose do you have???
There are other ways to increase humidity without using a fogger... ie..spray three or four time daily, increase water area for evaporation place a small heater under the water/soaking dish... decrease air circulation...
Diet depends on type of tortoise... a varied diet doesn't need supplementation with protien or multivitamins usually "cole" crop ( cabbage, kale, mustard) food are not recomended as a main part of the diet for any tortoise... a varied diet of weeds 10-15 kinds) and various grasses (as many as you can identify)
Tortoises generally do not find grocery store type greens and vegetables in their natural environments. No lettuce... Weeds are much better...
Usually NO animal protien and very small to NO plants high in protein... most all weeds and grasses has adequate to moderate quanities for tortoises...
But then again who am I???
Trust your vet.. they always know what's best...

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
Turtlechasers said:
What king of tortiose do you have???
There are other ways to increase humidity without using a fogger... ie..spray three or four time daily, increase water area for evaporation place a small heater under the water/soaking dish... decrease air circulation...
Diet depends on type of tortoise... a varied diet doesn't need supplementation with protien or multivitamins usually "cole" crop ( cabbage, kale, mustard) food are not recomended as a main part of the diet for any tortoise... a varied diet of weeds 10-15 kinds) and various grasses (as many as you can identify)
Tortoises generally do not find grocery store type greens and vegetables in their natural environments. No lettuce... Weeds are much better...
Usually NO animal protien and very small to NO plants high in protein... most all weeds and grasses has adequate to moderate quanities for tortoises...
But then again who am I???
Trust your vet.. they always know what's best...

I have a 3-toed box turtle.. And how do I come across weeds? I like in Colorado so there is snow all over so I can't find any. And I live in the city so I can't just go to a field to pick some??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Josh:

Well gee...that's too bad about the feet. Did the vet have any ideas on how this could have happened?

Most box turtles prefer a more humid environment, but I've never used a fogger. I use potting soil for my baby box turtles and I just pour water over it and mix it up with my hand. When it starts to dry out, I pour in more water.

It might be a good idea for you to keep your little Buddy on newspaper or paper towels until the infection clears up. It will stay cleaner and the medicine will be better without dirt sticking to it.

Your box turtle should be eating animal protein. "They" say that adult box turtles change over from protein to vegetation as they mature, but all of my box turtles still prefer to eat worms, crickets, bugs, chicken, hard boiled eggs, etc. What I do is chop up some veggies like what the vet said and make a pile at the feeding station. Then I'll add some fruit on top of that and some night crawlers on top of that. But I feed animal protein at every meal. I have to disagree with turtlechasers on the vet statement - don't trust your vet in this instance. He told you about feeding a TORTOISE, not a box turtle. It makes me wonder if that vet even knows the difference between a box turtle and a tortoise.

Turtlechasers

10 Year Member!
Thanks Y
You are right... I took the premise about having a tortoise...
Box turtle do require protien in every meal...
News print has an antifungal and antibacterial quality and is a very good idea...
I apologize for being sarcasicm about the vet... please follow his protocol for healing the wounds/injury, but please research box turtle diets...

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Josh:

Well gee...that's too bad about the feet. Did the vet have any ideas on how this could have happened?

Most box turtles prefer a more humid environment, but I've never used a fogger. I use potting soil for my baby box turtles and I just pour water over it and mix it up with my hand. When it starts to dry out, I pour in more water.

It might be a good idea for you to keep your little Buddy on newspaper or paper towels until the infection clears up. It will stay cleaner and the medicine will be better without dirt sticking to it.

Your box turtle should be eating animal protein. "They" say that adult box turtles change over from protein to vegetation as they mature, but all of my box turtles still prefer to eat worms, crickets, bugs, chicken, hard boiled eggs, etc. What I do is chop up some veggies like what the vet said and make a pile at the feeding station. Then I'll add some fruit on top of that and some night crawlers on top of that. But I feed animal protein at every meal. I have to disagree with turtlechasers on the vet statement - don't trust your vet in this instance. He told you about feeding a TORTOISE, not a box turtle. It makes me wonder if that vet even knows the difference between a box turtle and a tortoise.

She thinks it may be a Vitamin A deficiency. Any ways I can add more to his diet? And also she told me pretty much everything you did. So I think she knows the difference. I think I didn't make it clear whether he was a box turtle or tortoise in the first post, so I'm assuming turtlechasers thought he was a tortoise..

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
the sad thing is..even vets do not know as much about our turtles and tortoises as we do...to help with the infection use damp paper towels..I agree with Yvonne...mix up the food and add worms..I have adult box turtles and they will always eat the worms first or bugs...they tend to be picky but they will eat the other stuff too..you just need to find what your turtle likes..i use a spray bottle with really warm water to mist the enclosure....this way its sorta humid....and warm...I would trust more ppl on TFO than I would a vet, unless I knew that vet was a turtle or toroise owner...IMO

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
jojodesca said:
the sad thing is..even vets do not know as much about our turtles and tortoises as we do...to help with the infection use damp paper towels..I agree with Yvonne...mix up the food and add worms..I have adult box turtles and they will always eat the worms first or bugs...they tend to be picky but they will eat the other stuff too..you just need to find what your turtle likes..i use a spray bottle with really warm water to mist the enclosure....this way its sorta humid....and warm...I would trust more ppl on TFO than I would a vet, unless I knew that vet was a turtle or toroise owner...IMO

So use damp paper towels in addition to the antibiotic creme??

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
the paper towels will just keep his feet clean rather then having them in the substright,

a good food item fot vit A is sweet potato's (microwave it after stabbing it with a fork for a min let cool cut up and serve with greens and bugs) are you using a vit suppliment?

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
turtlemann2 said:
the paper towels will just keep his feet clean rather then having them in the substright,

a good food item fot vit A is sweet potato's (microwave it after stabbing it with a fork for a min let cool cut up and serve with greens and bugs) are you using a vit suppliment?

No I'm not using one..

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
in the enclosure use a layer of damp paper towels..this will help keep the feet clean while being medicated..once the infection is cleared up you can get a topsoil/coco coif blend for Buddy to dig in....i give my turtles sweet potato or yam also..i shred it with a cheese grater...this is my usual mix....40% protein, 40% veggies 20% fruit....however..they eat the protein 1st and snack at the rest..what they don't eat after a few hrs I throw away..every other day..but I do sometimes hand feed them a snack of bugs, just for bonding...BTW I buy all kinds of veggie and friuts for them to try..and on that note for me too....I have noticed since having turtles I eat alot more fruits and veggies!...

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
jojodesca said:
in the enclosure use a layer of damp paper towels..this will help keep the feet clean while being medicated..once the infection is cleared up you can get a topsoil/coco coif blend for Buddy to dig in....i give my turtles sweet potato or yam also..i shred it with a cheese grater...this is my usual mix....40% protein, 40% veggies 20% fruit....however..they eat the protein 1st and snack at the rest..what they don't eat after a few hrs I throw away..every other day..but I do sometimes hand feed them a snack of bugs, just for bonding...BTW I buy all kinds of veggie and friuts for them to try..and on that note for me too....I have noticed since having turtles I eat alot more fruits and veggies!...

Thanks for the advice!! I'll use that to my advantage :) but wouldn't the paper towel rip and let the substrate through? Sorry just confused

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
if you have him in an inside enclosure, just use the paper towels....don't use any substrate

here is a pic from pryncesssc ..she is doing this for her box turtle right now...

[attachment=17228

do you have an inside enclosure?..if not you can use a rubbermaid container or aquarium temporarely

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
Thanks for using my pic jojo :) I just roll out a couple of layers of paper towels so its a little more comfy then I mist the tank 2-3 times a day. I also change the paper towel every 3rd day just to make sure it is clean . If u want more pics just let me know and ill post more !

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
pryncesssc said:
Thanks for using my pic jojo :) I just roll out a couple of layers of paper towels so its a little more comfy then I mist the tank 2-3 times a day. I also change the paper towel every 3rd day just to make sure it is clean . If u want more pics just let me know and ill post more !

Yes, could you please post more? Does it seem to bother him not being able to dig?? How moist do they need to be?

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
pryncesssc said:

I just set the paper towels up.. I'm just worried about the heat not holding. I have a heating pad and a lamp, but the paper towels turned cold already :/

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
How many watts is ur heat lamp ? And what about your UVB light . Is it a 5.0 ? As long as ur basking area is between 86-90 you will be fine . If the turtle feels cold he will go bask . Do u know the ambient temp on the other side of the cage ?

joshtaylor123

5 Year Member
pryncesssc said:
How many watts is ur heat lamp ? And what about your UVB light . Is it a 5.0 ? As long as ur basking area is between 86-90 you will be fine . If the turtle feels cold he will go bask . Do u know the ambient temp on the other side of the cage ?

It's a 25 watt. And the other side of the cage is around 80.. My light is kind of old, but I'm getting a new one tomorrow so I think he will be okay for a day. I'll post pics of the paper towels later.

turtlemann2

5 Year Member
Mid Willamette Valley, Or
woah 25 watt is low! aim for a 65-100 watt usually you dont need a 100 watt but i have both i leave the 65 watt red lamp on all the time and turn the 100 watt white light on during the day, as for the heat pad you need to get that outta there! heat pads transfer heat from the bottom and easily burn the plastrom of your turt, im not saying you need to freak out but you do need to remove it, especially after you get him(her?) back on substright this is because boxies burrow down to keep cool and to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.