Buckwheat Hulls?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I know nothing about these hulls, but I would want to know if they get moldy when moistened, are they toxic if accidentally eating when stuck to the food, will they cause impaction if accidentally eaten. There are too many unknowns for me to use them. I'll just stick to what I know is good - fir bark.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Id think like wheat and rye and oat “hulls” - these would be very very dry, extremely dusty and not really good to use in a warm, humid tortoise environment. I’ll bet they are cheap, but id say not a good substrate for a tort. For a mouse or guinea pig or rabbit litter maybe yes.

And for stuffing pillows too.

Buckwheat hulls are the hard outer shells that house the seeds of buckwheat grain.The hulls are strong, aromatic and do not retain or reflect heat, making them an ideal allergy-free alternative to feather or synthetic fiber fills for pillows and upholstery.

Buckwheat hulls are considered desirable pillow stuffing material because there is less risk of exposure to allergens than pillows that contain down (feathers) or synthetic fibers. Pillows filled with buckwheat hulls also conduct and reflect less heat than those filled with synthetic materials. Used alone or combined with rice or dried herbs, buckwheat hulls are ideal for making eye and neck pillows to help ease fatigue and tense muscles.

Last edited: