Bubbles...

Status
Not open for further replies.

fluffypanda17

5 Year Member
One of my sulcatas has been making noises lately so I took a closer look and I saw one bubble coming out each nostril when he breathes. What's wrong? And how can I fix it?

menkerose

5 Year Member
It sounds like your baby has a respiratory infection. I rescued an adult box turtle that was so infected it was blowing bubbles and both of its eyes we're swollen shut and pus filled. BUT the good news is I got her out of it very very fast and it was very simple. Make sure you feed them properly every day and they have a good basking light to get under. The number one thing that I did to get my boxy out of that was I soaked her in warm water and sprayed her with warm water especially on her face once or twice a day and she came out of it within a week.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa, AZ
What are your temps in the enclosure? What are you using as substrate? What are you using as an enclosure?

fluffypanda17

5 Year Member
The hot spot is around 100. The coldest spot is 75 but I'm working on raising that. There is a humid hide that has a heat pad under it. I just put the temp probe in there to see how high it gets so we will see. That has cocofiber and sphagnum in it. The rest of the enclosure is cedar mulch that's misted 4+ times daily and watered a few times a week. The torts get soaked everyday. And he is in a custom 4x3 enclosure. My plan right now is to try to get the coldest side up to 80 and the hotspot up to 105-110 and eventually do a substrate switch to some organic potting soil with peat.

menkerose said:
It sounds like your baby has a respiratory infection. I rescued an adult box turtle that was so infected it was blowing bubbles and both of its eyes we're swollen shut and pus filled. BUT the good news is I got her out of it very very fast and it was very simple. Make sure you feed them properly every day and they have a good basking light to get under. The number one thing that I did to get my boxy out of that was I soaked her in warm water and sprayed her with warm water especially on her face once or twice a day and she came out of it within a week.

That's a very inspiring story!

I do all of that for my tortoise already except the water hes misted with is room temp..

I don't know how old he is. I found him a little over a year ago. He's about 280 grams if that helps.

fluffypanda17

5 Year Member
Hotspot is now at 110 cool side is 77 and humid hide is 80! What else should I do?

Also the night temps are at 70-75 and the humid hide is at 80 24/7

Status
Not open for further replies.