Bubba

Turtle girl 98

Location (City and/or State)
Sandstone mn
Hello all, bubba is doing fantastic. He is eating good and pooping good. I do have a question though, he keeps flipping on his back still but I notice when he does he spreads his legs out and his head and doesn't try to get up until he is ready. If I flip him over he goes right back up to his basking spot and flips onto his back. Is he sunbathing his belly or is something wrong? I'm clueless. He seems like he is sunbathing he gets right back onto his feet and does what he does. He is growing very fast already. If anybody has any thoughts I would love to hear.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
First thing I think you need to do is post good pictures of him so you can have someone give you a for sure ID so you know your feeding and housing him correctly. I'm quite sure he's not a box turtle, looks like a Blandings but I can't say for sure.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
First thing I think you need to do is post good pictures of him so you can have someone give you a for sure ID so you know your feeding and housing him correctly. I'm quite sure he's not a box turtle, looks like a Blandings but I can't say for sure.
He is definitely a blandings. I did tons of research when I found out he wasn't a box turtle. I also did a quick call to the DNR cause he's a blandings explained the situation and what happened and how I came across the eggs. I haven't found anything on TFO about blandings turtles. I did read on Google a bunch. I know how inaccurate it can be. I have him in a 10 gal aquarium with about an inch or two of water ( he really likes the water) and a basking spot. For the time being I don't have many plants because he keeps flipping over on them. He climbs up and flips. The hubby gets paid next Monday so there will be a trip to the pet store for items. Such as a uvb bulb and not the basking one I have. Not sure what else. His tank stays about 75 -80ish. His basking spot is 80 his water is 75 his hide is anywhere from 75 -80 depending on the day and the temp of my house. I keep the light on from about 9 when I wake up til 9 at night. I have came across a black reptile bulb at Walmart. Should I buy one of those? I have no idea if its a uvb or just a heat bulb. I change his water every other day because well he stinks.. I don't have any dirt or anything in the tank as of right now because he was eating the sand or it sure looked like he was.. just glass and also with the dirt in there he would get a better grip and flip more often. Not the best pictures. His basking spot is old movie cases stacked up for now.. all I had available at the moment. He loves going underneath where the ramp is. He sleeps down there. He loves the agates he sits on them and soaks up the warmth to. I have t seen him fall off of the platform at all. The rocks are usually stacked up better in more of a ramp so he doesn't fall. I am planning on getting way more plants. And as you can tell I had to cover the red wall because he kept staring at it and flipping wherever the wall was showing. It isn't the best setup but it has been working for the time being until I can afford different items. My hubby did most of the tank because I was getting upset. This setup seems to be the best we have came up with yet. The other trials sucked and bubba had alot more flipping issues.. the only spot he flips over is on the basking spot and I have no idea how he flips but he gets right back up no problem. I always keep my eye on him because of it..1569435422414.jpeg1569435477049.jpeg

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
I know we have some members who keep Blanding's turtles or might have some advice regarding them.

@mark1
@Markw84
@HermanniChris
@Yvonne G
Oh wow ! I will definitely be asking around . Google isn't always accurate on the care sheets.. it was very hard to find anything useful about the blandings turtle on the web.. it is nice to know I am not the only one who has gotten to be a part of one of their lives. Hes still my little bubba [emoji170][emoji175][emoji178]

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I think @mark1 keeps Blandings. I have no experience at all so no advice I can give.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
I think @mark1 keeps Blandings. I have no experience at all so no advice I can give.
Thank you anyways. You're the one that made me realize bubba wasn't a box turtle.. I never did look at the mama when she laid the eggs. I just parked around her so people couldnt run her over. She looked like a box turtle in the dark lol. I wish I would've seen her I bet she was gorgeous.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Thank you!! I will message mark1 as well. Might as well get as much info as I can possibly take in.
From that site I would say I have everything right on. Need more plants. I have the temps spot on at least lol. I will certainly be reading more. Thank you guys again for pointing me in the right direction!

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Happy to help! Even happier that you follow up on the suggestions we give you, take them and run with them, and make them your own.

We do get emotionally invested in a number of these threads. We all want the best possible outcome. It's good to know how things turn out, for better or for worse. The more we know, the better our chance of achieving more positive outcomes.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Happy to help! Even happier that you follow up on the suggestions we give you, take them and run with them, and make them your own.

We do get emotionally invested in a number of these threads. We all want the best possible outcome. It's good to know how things turn out, for better or for worse. The more we know, the better our chance of achieving more positive outcomes.
I love getting help from experienced turtle tortoise owners. You get alot of different opinions and alot more thought than just googling it. If it will help my babies thrive I will follow up and definitely do it. I love this site and the people involved. I have gotten emotional over a few threads on here already. I have caught myself crying for someone I don't even know.. I have also tried to give opinions and help when I can. I agree it is all a learning experience and we all learn from the good and the bad.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Can we have a better picture of just the turtle? It looks like a hatchling box turtle to me.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Can we have a better picture of just the turtle? It looks like a hatchling box turtle to me.
I thought he looked like a box turtle when he first hatched. Then he started to get really dark. Toddrickfl1 told me he thought he looked like a blandings turtle and posted a picture and then I did some research as well and he does look like a blandings. I did not see the mama. I watched her lay but stays away because I didn't want to scare her. She looked like a box turtle to me, it was dark.. IMG_20190925_154545065.jpegIMG_20190925_154533803.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Sure looks like a box turtle to me. But I've never seen a blandings hatchling, so I could be wrong.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Sure looks like a box turtle to me. But I've never seen a blandings hatchling, so I could be wrong.
What threw me off was the tail. Do box turtle Hatchlings have tails that long? It's been years since I've seen one I can't remember.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That sure does look like a baby blandings turtle. The distinctive yellow chin and the long tail are sure signs. Patterns look exactly blandings. Even the little post orbital light blotch they tend to have.

Here's a few pictures of some blandings babies for you to see

baby-blandings.jpg

Baby-Blandings-Turtle.jpg

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
That sure does look like a baby blandings turtle. The distinctive yellow chin and the long tail are sure signs. Patterns look exactly blandings. Even the little post orbital light blotch they tend to have.

Here's a few pictures of some blandings babies for you to see

View attachment 281303

View attachment 281304
Okay so it is confirmed! Bubba is indeed a blandings turtle. I had only questioned it once someone pointed out he was a bit darker and had a long tail, I thought he looked like an odd box turtle, and he spends most his time in the water. Thank you Mark! Do you have any care tips? I read up on a Google a bit but want to make sure I have the right idea of what he needs. Wayy different than the boxie I thought he was. Lol, can tell I'm not good at identifying turtles..