Brutus the 8 yo comes to his new home

Status
Not open for further replies.

brutus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
columbia south carolina
Went to a local reptile show in columbia sc this weekend looking for a large breed tortoise. I found him a 8 years old 35 pounds and 16 inches long. have built him a 10x10 temp. pen outside while I get to work on a much larger inclosure for him. I have some questions about his condition as his shell has a bit of dip as you near his rear. Cannot get a photo to upload but here is it on FB.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...15384648406.2088598.1351916068&type=1&theater

I have read not to over feed but how much for a guy this age. I have some horse type pasture grass growing in the area that will be his in the next week or so. any advise will be eagerly awaited

M

Maggie Cummings

Your facebook page is not available. Is Brutus pyramided? That dip is usually associated with pyramiding and MBD. If you increase his calcium intake you can make it better. As he grows, his new healthy growth will be better and it will make the dip look not so bad. He needs more of a diet then simply graze. I feed Bob, my 100 pound Sulcata different produces with hay and graze. He also gets squash treats or the random watermelon. I supplement TNT twice a week. When they stop growing then graze or hay will be enough, but while they are growing they need the extra food and supplements IMHO

Use tinypic.com and it will resize your pictures and give you a code that you post and it will magically appear as a pix...welcome

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It won't let us view your facebook pics without signing up. I use tinypic.com. Its really easy an you don't need an account.

For one that size, I would just let him graze on his own outside. You really can't over feed one that size. When my three were around a foot each, I gave them 9 full heads of romaine and they ate it all up in less than 10 minutes. I quit there because I was worried. If they graze in a large enclosure and have regular access to food they won't be as famished as mine were. I was trying the "grow them slow and feed them light" routine to prevent pyramiding. It didn't work. They still pyramided, but they were always ravenous and stayed very small. At 13 they are around 50 pounds now. Now they have a huge weed filled enclosure. They just browse at will all day. Some days they won't even take hand fed treats, because they are already full from the weeds.

brutus

5 Year Member
columbia south carolina
ok try these
2dlskty.jpg

2lxbb40.jpg

9a1dp1.jpg

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
the pics are small, but i can see them. i dont see the slope you talk about. He looks pretty good. What size yard are you making for him? Make sure he has a water soaking area.. I use a large plastic garbage can lid and make it level with the ground. easy to clean and cheap!

brutus

5 Year Member
columbia south carolina
The area i am planning is about 75 ft by 25 to 40 ft. has a 6 ft privacy fence on the 40 ft side which I will reinforce with a 4x4 rail ,the 75 ft one side is chainlink the other is lightly fenced (decorative) as is the 25 ft side which i will build a heavy low wood rail 2ft or so. (lots of work in the hot 95 deg south carolina sun). The area has good full sun and low trees for shade and hiding.
Ill try to get better pics of the affected area in the morning, thanks in advance.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds like a great area for an enclosure. Can't wait for the pics.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
If any side leads out of your yard, make sure you keep an eye on him or make sure to reinforce below ground in that area. You would be surprised how much they can dig in just a few hours..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi "Brutus:"

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know YOUR name?

ADVANceNA

5 Year Member
congrats on brustus from einstein and i also !

your plans on his enclosure sounds ggrreeaatt, no joke, i think all of us wish we could have something as big or bigger if we could have the room for it. i really cant wait for some bigger pics of brutus and the enclosure.

have a good day !

brutus

5 Year Member
columbia south carolina
ok got some new pics what do you think.
33djfvd.jpg

dmr3ap.jpg

21mggwl.jpg

FernandoM said:
Would this be the possible "dip" you are concerned about?

2011-02-25_12-30-50_700.jpg

ah......nope

This is his temp setup
2rqequ0.jpg

nosey neighbour
2ake3ar.jpg

soon to be completed area. the 40ft end
2jb3x8w.jpg

the long way
29qawhz.jpg

he is eating good likes his timothy hay and romaine

2upwoeq.jpg

oh my name is timothy and i am from columbia south carolina

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Very cool enclosure. Yeah, I'm not familiar with a dip like that.

Hopefully someone with more experience will answer. To me that looks like stunted growth maybe at a certain point in his life..but what do it know :)

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I think at some point in his life he didn't get the best care and it shows on his entire carapace, but we know now that he will be living a great life..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Timothy:

That kind of dip usually comes from MBD. Just make sure he has plenty of calcium-rich foods (mulberry leaves, grape leaves, cactus, etc) and sunshine.

And...WOW! an emu??? Do you live in a zoo?

brutus

5 Year Member
columbia south carolina
emysemys said:
Hi Timothy:

That kind of dip usually comes from MBD. Just make sure he has plenty of calcium-rich foods (mulberry leaves, grape leaves, cactus, etc) and sunshine.

And...WOW! an emu??? Do you live in a zoo?

we got a few oddities ranging about that is one of the four february hatched baby emus. got 2 more just hatched last week still in the house. Brutus is getting their parents(3 3 yr olds) breeding area. I have moved them to the pond pasture for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.