Bromeliad identification

Randi

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Would anyone be able to tell me which Bromeliad this is? I've never seen it before and when I purchased it, the tag just said Assorted Bromeliads. It's finally in the tank after waiting over a year to plant. Just curious as to it's name - I wanted to look up it's details and requirements, etc. It is doing well with what is being offered, heat and humidity wise. Thank you for any assistance. 2015-12-06_18.28.29.jpg2015-12-06_18.29.02.jpg2015-12-06_18.29.32.jpg

Randi

Canada
That is most definitely it! Thank you so much :D

M

Maggie Cummings

After it blooms it will probably die. Keep water in the 'vases' of them, especially those smaller ones.

Randi

Canada
They are misted often and I always pour water into the vases. I just moved the smaller ones around as the previous location was a little too warm, and they were suffering a bit. They look better with the location they are in now so in time, they should be growing and a beautiful green until an orange flower with red streaks emerges. I also have one that's got a pink flower that will emerge. The bromeliads are already growing pups that I can plant once it dies off. I love bromeliads. I want more. Anyone know of any good sites to order from that will ship to Canada? Thanks for all of your advice. :<3::tort::)

M

Maggie Cummings

From where I am sitting now I can see 10 bromeliads on a sill, and some in another room, I like them too, but I don't need this many. PM me your address and I'll work on sending you a few....seems like you really know their care and I apologize for telling you how to care for them when you already know...

Randi

Canada
Aw, thank you so much! You've literally just made the rest of my year :) that is such a generous offer. I am not picky and will accept any that you no longer need or want, no matter what species or how they look. I love bromeliads!! There is no need to apologize! You've done nothing wrong. You're just following instinct and advising me like you would do for anyone. There is a lot that I don't know and I'm always learning so please advise when necessary. Please save your apologies for another day as they are not needed. :) and please continue to post like this whenever you do post as it's very much appreciated and we never know how much experience an individual may have. I think it's great that there's so much care and support here.

I don't think we have ever talked directly but I see your threads and your replies and I have a lot of respect for you and the knowledge you possess. I will PM you right away. And again, thank you so much. You're quite an amazing and wonderful person, if you didn't know that already :):<3::tort:

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
FYI, you need a permit from the CFIA to receive plants in Canada from the USA. If the shipment is opened at customs without the permit and phytosanitary certificate it'll likely be destroyed and a fine issued to the receiver. It's best to order from within Canada, because it's fairly costly and time consuming to get documentation in order.