Bromeliad

Randi

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
20150123_193259.jpg

My question is about my bromeliad. I'm not sure of the exact species of bromeliad I have in with my tortoise.. I bought it at a Home Depot a few months ago - I washed it for a good ten minutes, replanted it and let it sit for a few months. I've recently added it in her tank (still in the tall delicup I put it in) and cut it back so she couldn't reach it. Would it be safe to let her eat it now if she wants to or would more time be recommended to sit in case pesticides and fertilizers were used?

Thanks for any input. I have a Red Footed if that makes any difference.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
View attachment 118886

My question is about my bromeliad. I'm not sure of the exact species of bromeliad I have in with my tortoise.. I bought it at a Home Depot a few months ago - I washed it for a good ten minutes, replanted it and let it sit for a few months. I've recently added it in her tank (still in the tall delicup I put it in) and cut it back so she couldn't reach it. Would it be safe to let her eat it now if she wants to or would more time be recommended to sit in case pesticides and fertilizers were used?

Thanks for any input. I have a Red Footed if that makes any difference.

http://www.bromeliads.info/pineapple-bromeliad/

I believe the bromeliad you referenced may be too tough for eating????

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I just purchased some Primrose and Begonias from Home Depot to add color and maybe some snacks for my R/F. I was surprised to read the warning about the pesticides used. It claims to "get into every cell of the plant. Stems, leaves and flowers." Making them pest resistant. Further reading on the web seems to link these "new" pesticides with the honey bee decline world wide. I am no chemist. But, this seems like it would be dangerous for a very long time, if not for the whole life of the plant. In fact the tag says in very tiny print NOT FOR HUMAN OR ANIMAL CONSUMPTION.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I keep quite a few bromeliads outdoors and I does with red/yellow foots. I've seen some nibbles from the reds but the yellows will devour it. Never seen any issues. Keep in mind though these are adults and not little ones like yours. They're tough to eat for the little guys. But if imagie he won't portray much interest in it.

Randi

Canada
I have attached a picture of the plant itself. The green leaves were so long when I bought it that they touched ground, so I cut a lot off. It was purchased so in time if she wanted to, she can munch on it while hiding under it.

So, I must assume that no matter how much time it sits for, it will still be a pesticide bomb? That's really unfortunate :( I was looking forward to putting this in the new big tank in March. I'm wondering if I can buy bromeliad seeds and start a group of them myself.

20150218_104603.jpg