Broken Beak?

Rachel H.

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
Hi folks. New to tortoise forum.

I have a young Leopard Tortoise that started holding it's beak in an odd manner. Upon closer inspection it looks like his lower beak is misaligned and has split. He has been on a softened mazuri diet due to his small size. He eats out of a terracotta dish. He still eats a lot and runs all over his enclosure. I have read a lot about potentially trimming the beak but I will be contacting the exotic vet in the area tomorrow. Simply wanted some insight from some experienced people.

Insight is welcome. He lives in an enclosure with a powersun lamp and an additional ceramic heat source. He receives occasional veggies but eats Mazuri Small Tortoise Diet.

Thanks in advance. IMG_20180701_142908.jpg
IMG_20180701_142908.jpg IMG_20180701_142904.jpg IMG_20180701_142832.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Hi folks. New to tortoise forum.

I have a young Leopard Tortoise that started holding it's beak in an odd manner. Upon closer inspection it looks like his lower beak is misaligned and has split. He has been on a softened mazuri diet due to his small size. He eats out of a terracotta dish. He still eats a lot and runs all over his enclosure. I have read a lot about potentially trimming the beak but I will be contacting the exotic vet in the area tomorrow. Simply wanted some insight from some experienced people.

Insight is welcome. He lives in an enclosure with a powersun lamp and an additional ceramic heat source. He receives occasional veggies but eats Mazuri Small Tortoise Diet.

Thanks in advance. View attachment 243626

Looks like a lower split that has been healing.....perhaps offer the food on a piece of slate so that the tort can self file when eating?