Beak/cheek chipped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cicitina

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Yesterday while bathing my tortoise I noticed a crack on the side of his beak, this morning the piece was completely gone.

He is eating and everything normally. I file his beak when it gets too long, he eats on slate or from terracotta dishes. His humidify ranges from 40-60

Cosmetically, will this eventually grow and even back out?

***I have filed its sharp edge so it looks much better now

Thank you View attachment 369267

Last edited:

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
We are unable to see the picture. If you can try again I'm sure someone will have answers for you.

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
We are unable to see the picture. If you can try again I'm sure someone will have answers for you.
Sorry, don’t know what happened to the photo. He doesn’t stay still so these photos are pretty blurry and I was trying to wipe food off his face.
IMG_9298.pngIMG_9302.png

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Thanks for the pic, your tort looks exceedingly dry. Please soak it in shallow warm water for around 20 mins in a high-sided container to get hydrated and this will also help the dry scales drop off. Re the crack it will regrow but it has chipped due to the front overhang. I suggest you seek a vet or reptile shop to get it trimmed, aligned and ensure calcium is in the diet to help shell , bone, claw and beak growth.

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
I soak him every other day i
Thanks for the pic, your tort looks exceedingly dry. Please soak it in shallow warm water for around 20 mins in a high-sided container to get hydrated and this will also help the dry scales drop off. Re the crack it will regrow but it has chipped due to the front overhang. I suggest you seek a vet or reptile shop to get it trimmed, aligned and ensure calcium is in the diet to help shell , bone, claw and beak growth.
I soak him every other day in a bathtub. Since I moved it seems no matter how often I soak him or how high his humidity is he is always dry. I also struggle myself with how dry it is here.
I live 1.5 hours from any vet that even takes reptiles unfortunately. I have been actively searching for somewhere to take him as when I lived in a big city he saw one regularly.

But thank you for your advice and suggestions :) it actually helped confirm my concerns about his dryness and health so I will have reason to seek a vet

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The side cracked because the beak is overgrown. Biting off his food put too much pressure on the overgrown sides. The front is too long, but the sides are too.

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
The side cracked because the beak is overgrown. Biting off his food put too much pressure on the overgrown sides. The front is too long, but the sides are too.
Thank you, I knew it looked off. I’m already looking around for a place to take him for a proper trim

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Thank you, I knew it looked off. I’m already looking around for a place to take him for a proper trim
A 1 1/2 hour drive each way is nothing considering what is going on. Please don't take this the wrong way .... I'm sure you drive 1 1/2 hour to other places so saying that is to far to ensure your tort isn't in pain and won't continue to injure himself is nothing. I'm sure you drive everyday, so why is a couple hours of driving a deal breaker? PLEASE don't take this as aggression, I am trying to show you that any distance is worth driving for this issue. Have you ever driven for an hour and a half? ... Thought so.

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
A 1 1/2 hour drive each way is nothing considering what is going on. Please don't take this the wrong way .... I'm sure you drive 1 1/2 hour to other places so saying that is to far to ensure your tort isn't in pain and won't continue to injure himself is nothing. I'm sure you drive everyday, so why is a couple hours of driving a deal breaker? PLEASE don't take this as aggression, I am trying to show you that any distance is worth driving for this issue. Have you ever driven for an hour and a half? ... Thought so.
I’ve already located a vet after talking to an exotic animal rescue in the area to help me find one so thank you for your concern. I am absolutely one of those people who will go out of their way for any of their animals and I have many times in the past.

Also your assumptions about my driving is wrong, not that it matters as I have found a means to get there this time, but I do NOT drive every day. I work from home. My car currently isn’t even working as it needs a new transmission after sitting all winter. I don’t highway drive. I haven’t done long drives, at least not in the last 2 years since moving to the country.
So trying to assume something that is easy for you is not easy for someone else.
So saying “thought so” in this instance, doesn’t make your point as it doesn’t apply to me or my situation, and it honestly hurts.

Cicitina

Ontario, Canada
This issue has been resolved.

Thank you everyone for their concern. If I could delete this thread I would.

Status
Not open for further replies.