Breeding size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joseydiann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
West Virginia
Ok I've been told that age really don't count when it comes to Russians, it's the size, so it is true that females have to be at least 6 inches or bigger before she will lay eggs?

And what is the right way to measure them to find out how many inches they are?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes age doesn't matter very much :p Russians do need to be about 6 inches to lay eggs.

Danny

joseydiann

5 Year Member
West Virginia
Ok so where do you find adults at that are breeding age? I've search daily for months now, I've contacted every website online that sells them. NO ONE has them over 4 1/2 to 5 inches, most places only have them at 4 inches. Said something about the crates they travel in will only fit a 4 inch tort and that I won't find one over 4-5 inches anywhere.

Is this true or does anyone know of a place to buy bigger ones?

joseydiann

5 Year Member
West Virginia
Had someone tell me today that they do breed at 4 1/2 to 5 inches so I'm pretty confused...

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
All my first time layers have been right at the 6 inch size. Dealers will tell you anything to sell you a tortoise. :p

Danny

joseydiann

5 Year Member
West Virginia
Ahhh, yeah I guess that's true.. Will if it is 4 inches now how many years till she will be ready to breed then? About how many inches to they grow a year?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It should take about 2 years to get a 4 inch female to 6 inches.

Danny

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
If they are telling you 4 inches and talking about crates, are you getting a wild caught tortoise that has been selected to take up less space in the crate when it is stacked with hundreds of other tortoises and imported? Eeek. That makes me sad.

If you want a breeding size tort, maybe you can get lucky finding one to adopt from someone who needs to give it up? Look on adoption sites, Craigslist, etc. I'd personally avoid buying a WC at all possible unless it was a rehoming, etc. My opinion.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...Check for adult Russians at reptile shows.
Good luck
Patsy

joseydiann

5 Year Member
West Virginia
We don't have any shows or expos here, sadly... Would have to drive many hours to ever go to one..

But if anyone goes and can get a large female of breeding age, I'd gladly send you the money for it!

And yes I think these were wild caught..

I have been online daily for months looking for one that needs a good home, but no luck at all..

DANNY?? You really have over 200 torts? If so, how in the world do you keep them all? How exciting...

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Don't think I have over 200 now :p I just do, it's really not that hard.

Danny

joseydiann

5 Year Member
West Virginia
Yeah well Lucky Danny blahhh on you, I think I'd give my right arm to have an adult female I want to hatch out little babies so bad I can't stand it. I love them so muches lol...

Status
Not open for further replies.