bread?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sulcatababies

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Can sulcatas eat the Ezekial bread. It is sprouted and vegetable but it says it has a protein in it. I don't know if it vegetable or not? Any thoughts on eating bread?

M

Maggie Cummings

Sulcata are grazing tortoises. They should eat grasses and weeds, not people food. While I'm sure bread once in a while won't hurt them it's just not a good idea for them to be fed stuff that's not really tortoise food. Here's a couple of links to care sheets for Sulcata, I suggest you read up on them and feed your tortoise in the best way possible...and that DOES NOT include people food!!!
Welcome to the forum I hope you will hang around and learn the best stuff for your animal...:)

http://africantortoise.com/

http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/sulcatacare.htm

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I had never heard of this bread before, so I did a GOOGLE search and read up on it. One of the things said about the bread is the protein quality is so high, that it is 84.3% as efficient as the highest recognized source of protein, containing all 9 essential amino acids. There are 18 amino acids present in this unique bread – from all vegetable sources – naturally balanced in nature.

Since we're not supposed to feed our tortoises a lot of protein, I would think that something that has the highest recognized source of protein would be something to be avoided. All plants and grasses contain protein, but I'm sure the plant protein of grasses and weeds would NOT be as high as the protein in this bread. But I've never heard of it, and I may be way off base!

Yvonne

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I would say not, like Maggie and Yvonne. It is high in protein and full of things that tortoises would not find in the wild. I realize that most of what we actually feed them are things that don't grow in thier home ranges, but they are much closer than bread.

I would stick to grasses and weeds, and if you want to give an occasional treat, use a hibiscus flower or rose bud.

Kristina

Sulcatababies

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks everyone, I have a new roomate and he loves my tortise but he thinks its ok to ffed him anything despite what I tell him. I printed the info and will take it back. As usual you guys are very helpful thanks a bunch:)
kyryah said:
I would say not, like Maggie and Yvonne. It is high in protein and full of things that tortoises would not find in the wild. I realize that most of what we actually feed them are things that don't grow in thier home ranges, but they are much closer than bread.

I would stick to grasses and weeds, and if you want to give an occasional treat, use a hibiscus flower or rose bud.

Kristina

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
The only time I've heard of feeding bread to torties was when I lived in NC; those freaky peeps EAT torties!! They feed them bread for about a week to "clean them out" before they boil {how disgusting is THAT!!} the poor critters..

Heck no, no bread for torties to eat, and no eating torties!!

And seriously, you need to make sure your new roomie does NOT feed your tort anything but tort food!

Purpod

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
For the health of your tort and the comfort of you and your room mate I would make it clear that he is not to feed it anything you have not approved him to feed it.
I have a long time friend that refused to do as I asked when it came to my dogs. I explained to her that I am their care giver and therefore responsible for giving them the best care I can. So for the sake of our friendship and the health and well being of my dogs, if she could not do as I asked, then she would not be able to come over and we would have to meet in a neutral place, period. You might need to let your room mate know this could be a deciding factor weather you remain roomies or not.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
No People Food?!?!?
UNLESS its Spring Mix and good veggies! Lots of what Torts eat ARE people food,, but just dont feed junk food and non veggie stuff on the list given! :)

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
No people food for torts. How bout no tort foods for people?.....my 12 yr old son asked if he was allowed to eat "the tortoise food" I had put in the refrigerator.....I busted up laughing and informed him it was just different kinds of Salad stuff than he was used to (it wasn't iceberg). I even told him he could eat their weeds and dandelions, etc. as long as he left some for them

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
galvinkaos said:
No people food for torts. How bout no tort foods for people?.....my 12 yr old son asked if he was allowed to eat "the tortoise food" I had put in the refrigerator.....I busted up laughing and informed him it was just different kinds of Salad stuff than he was used to (it wasn't iceberg). I even told him he could eat their weeds and dandelions, etc. as long as he left some for them

LOL!! You must prepare a pretty tasty-looking salad for your tortoise.

Yvonne

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
My son is a vege/salad kid. He will eat a whole tomato like an apple. He thought all those different "lettuces" looked good. I have quit buying prepackaged iceberg lettuce salad mixes for the family and the get stuff that's better for them and everyone is happy. No more "empty nutritionally" salads.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
We're eating much better with the tort around our house--I regularly make salads out of spring mix, dandelion greens, etc. Yum!

M

Maggie Cummings

The clerks in the produce section of my local store laugh at me all the time...I have a cart loaded with produce all greens and reds tortoise salad and right smack on top are my double-stuff Oreos!!!

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
hehe I usually go to the fancy grocery store (organic) for Trevor's stuff, so I'll have bags of obscure things for the cashier to look up, in small quantities, and then I'll have sweets since they have a great bakery there and my fiance is diabetic and they have some "safe" stuff there that we like.

Status
Not open for further replies.