Bratty Russian Not Taking Vitamins

Cassey

Location (City and/or State)
Concord, New Hampshire, USA
Hi there. I tried to give my new Russian, Nadya, a small sprinklng of her calcium/D3 powder yesterday. As I understand, I'm supposed to sprinkle a small amount on moistened food. She snubbed it worse than a toddler snubs broccoli. When I took it away and gave her just her greens, she ate them no problem. I don't really blame her. If some weirdo gave me food covered in smelly, white mystery powder I wouldn't touch it either. Any "tricks" or words of wisdom out there? Or am I doing it wrong? I'm using Reptocal.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're using too much. You only need a tiny pinch between your thumb and index finger, then mix it all up so it's not in a big clump in one spot.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
it smells funny to them you use too much probably sprinkle a tiny tiny pinch on it and see if that changes his mind.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Echoing what Yvonne said, if you can see it you have too much. I mix mine into a dab of pureed fruit or veggies and they never notice.

W Shaw

On supplement days, I feed a smaller amount at breakfast so that he's more likely to eat it all. I also chop it up pretty fine, which makes it harder to pick through, and also releases more juices, so it's naturally damp and the powder stays in the mix better. And, even though I chop it up, I include the one food item he's obsessed with and try to get the powder mostly on that. It helps that his favorite is radicchio, because he goes straight for the bright color.

I've been hearing about a calcium spray that some critters don't mind as much as the powder, but I haven't investigated far enough to find out whether it comes with D3 in it or not.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I'm sorry but I try to stay natural ( and I don't know what's in Reptocal ) I been giving my torts ground eggshells for 16 years ( it's something they might find in the wild ) and they are free . And they all seam happy or at least I have Hurd them complain yet. :)

Cassey

Concord, New Hampshire, USA
I'm sorry but I try to stay natural ( and I don't know what's in Reptocal ) I been giving my torts ground eggshells for 16 years ( it's something they might find in the wild ) and they are free . And they all seam happy or at least I have Hurd them complain yet. :)

Hmm that's a pretty cool thought! I will have to try that soon!