Brand new!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaseyyytrout

5 Year Member
Hello all,

My name is Kasey and this is my first post. Wheels, my two month old Sulcata, and I are located in Phoenix, Arizona. He/she is very active and I have been soaking him/her daily. The diet consists of leafy greens and grasses and will soon be getting hibiscus flower petals as treats. I have a question with regards to the humidity in the enclosure. I've read that it's best to spray the substrate as to keep the humidity up, but that this may also cause respiratory infections. Can anyone guide me in the right direction?

Unfortunately, I lost a seven year old last summer. The herp vet never gave me a true answer as to why he passed. I really did not care for the loss of Jo and want to ensure that Wheels outlives me.

image-2074224466.png

image-3562314459.png

The bottom picture was Jo in the last week of his life. The antibiotic shots were prescribed by the herp vet. It was hard administering them at home. We all miss him!

image-350251820.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Welcome, Kasey!

Sorry about Jo. It was a pretty nice-looking sulcata.

Well, read everything you can about raising healthy youngsters, everything here on the Forum, that is. And you should be able to raise wheels up to be full-sized tires in no time !! :p

Go to the Sulcata section and look at the important threads at the top of the section. Those are good for you to read.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello, and welcome. May I ask whom you use for a herp. Vet? I know there are a lot here in Phoenix. I know of only one I trust who does rescues and belongs to herp.society.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. There are a bunch of threads in my signature for sulcatas and raising babies. Humidity is great for babies. The secret is to keep them warm all the time. 24/7. I shoot for an ambient of at least 80, day and night, and then also give them a 100 degree basking spot for 12 hours a day to use if they choose.

It is very unusual for an older one to get sick like that. It is almost always due to cold night temps. How was Jo being housed? Did he have a heated shed for warmth?

The hibiscus leaves are even better than the flowers for them!

Glad you joined. Hope you like it here.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Welcome to the forum. There is lots of good info here about every aspect of raising your sulcata. Don't be shy about asking questions.

kaseyyytrout

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Hello and welcome. There are a bunch of threads in my signature for sulcatas and raising babies. Humidity is great for babies. The secret is to keep them warm all the time. 24/7. I shoot for an ambient of at least 80, day and night, and then also give them a 100 degree basking spot for 12 hours a day to use if they choose.

It is very unusual for an older one to get sick like that. It is almost always due to cold night temps. How was Jo being housed? Did he have a heated shed for warmth?

The hibiscus leaves are even better than the flowers for them!

Glad you joined. Hope you like it here.

He was kept outdoors in a dog house almost that was heated with a bulb and pad. I had a thermometer in there and thought the temperature was correct, but I assume this was the issue. Wheels will be monitored like a hawk and I will see about maybe letting him dig? What's your take on this Tom?

Status
Not open for further replies.