Brand New Parent In Need of Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruceAndCo.

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Lynnwood, WA
Okay, first I do apologize for the vagueness of this post. Second, I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but I feel like I need a case-specific answer.

I just purchased a baby sulcata, and it won over my heart in the hour or so I spent discussing its needs with a man at the pet store. I just need to know a few things about keeping them and their normal behavior.

Bruce is four months old (so said the pet store), and is about three and a half inches long. I'm honestly not too sure about his weight. The behaviors I have questions about are these:

He's very vocal, or so it appears. He chirps when something startles him and on various other occasions. He also seems to grunt, like a forced, quick exhale, when he exerts himself while climbing or digging. I was wondering if this vocalization is normal, and if I can look forward to future conversations with him? :)

Also on my list of questions and concerns is his innate ability to sleep. After an hour of activity, he's out like a light once he's found somewhere dark and warm. Should young tortoises sleep so much?

He also occasionally blows bubbles with his nose. This is one of my more serious concerns, as I have heard that sulcatas are prone to respiratory infections in which this is a symptom. It doesn't happen often, but when he's in the bath, or just waking up he tends to blow a few. Is this safe?

And as a new parent, I have to know how much it's safe to handle the little guy. He's adorable and very personable. Not scared of much. He's actually sleeping under my shirt right now. I was wondering what the upper and lower limits of handling are for sulcatas.

Finally, he gets into these little modes when around one of the lights I was told to get for him where he rubs his face on his forelimbs like his nose itches. Is it the light or something else causing this?

Thanks in advance, and my last apologies are for the length of the post and for my ignorance in regards to sulcatas. I should have done more research before adopting him, but now that he's here I'd like to make sure he's happy and healthy. Any advice or tips at all would be much appreciated. I know you guys must get this all the time.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Sounds like a Respiratory Infection... a condition seen frequently with sulcatas. Can you elaborate on the enclosure temps? Someone with indoor sulcata care will be along shortly. Good luck

BruceAndCo.

5 Year Member
Lynnwood, WA
Yeah temps hover right around eighty most of the time with some warmer spots. The lamp I was told would take care of his heating needs doesn't produce heat, just ridiculously bright light.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
If you could tell the experts, who I am sure will be along shortly, what are your temps? Warm side? Cool side? Basking spot? What about humidity? Pictures also help, and what kind of light do you have for the little guy? If you have any coil bulbs, please turn it off immediately, they are super bad for the torties eyes. I will post the link to Tom's care sheet for you to check out. Alot of people here on the forum follow his guideline, or very similar to it.

Here is the link: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1FUbho0Gm

Hope this helps!! If not ask away! We are here to help!!!

S

Scooter

Welcome to the forum, and the wonderful world of tortoises!

The bubbles after a bath or eating can be from the water, though if he is doing it at other times, it can't hurt to have him checked by a vet. I would bump up the heat some. What are the lows at night? If you post some pictures of your setup we can help you with that. As far as the sleeping, babies tend to sleep a lot. When they are startled they will pull into their shell, releasing air which can sound like "vocalizations", is there any wheezing noise? I'm sure someone will be along soon with much more knowledge then me to help you out. Good luck.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Do you realize that the last 2-3 people who have posted problems with R.I. stated that they followed that care sheet? Just sayin...

Torty Mom said:
If you could tell the experts, who I am sure will be along shortly, what are your temps? Warm side? Cool side? Basking spot? What about humidity? Pictures also help, and what kind of light do you have for the little guy? If you have any coil bulbs, please turn it off immediately, they are super bad for the torties eyes. I will post the link to Tom's care sheet for you to check out. Alot of people here on the forum follow his guideline, or very similar to it.

Here is the link: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-How-To-Raise-Sulcata-Hatchlings-and-Babies#axzz1FUbho0Gm

Hope this helps!! If not ask away! We are here to help!!!

Becki

5 Year Member
Albuquerque
Really I wouldn't advise too much handling. He will be much more comfortable and a lot less stressed if he can be in a warm little hiding spot or basking under a light. I know how tempting it is to hold and cuddle them (they're so darn cute!), but it's just not healthy for them.

BruceAndCo.

5 Year Member
Lynnwood, WA
You guys are all awesome for helping me so quickly. I really do appreciate it. I haven't noticed the bubbles any other time than after being around water, although they tend to persist for about an hour or so after baths. Also these coil bulbs I keep hearing about... are they just the florescent ones? Cause I do have one like that that I have since turned off. I'm consulting the care guide for more temperature info, since I've been suspicious of temp being a part of the problem. I'll probably have to make a vet appointment for the little guy too just so I at least know where we're starting. Does anyone know of any vets dealing with reptiles in the Seattle area by any chance?

Oh, and a question for later... If housing them inside when they get bigger, do they kinda become "free range" in your home? And what kind of accommodations should be made for them before they get their own yard?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
onarock said:
Do you realize that the last 2-3 people who have posted problems with R.I. stated that they followed that care sheet? Just sayin...

Not true. The last two or three have been newbies who don't even know about the care sheet, keeping them too cold or making other mistakes. The warm humid method that others pioneered and I've been touting has done a lot of good for a lot of tortoises and I resent the fact that you are constantly trying to find a reason why its bad. We all know (even you Paul), that the old beef jerky maker style dry way is not the way to go either. If you think the wet routine is so bad, why don't you make your own care sheet and then demonstrate to all of us how well it works.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I HOPE THEY DIDNT SELL YOU A SICK TORTOISE...
I would contact the store and let them know what you are seeing..

Some stores will take back sick critters and get vet care, others will not. But they need to know. Maybe you can get a refund to use on a vet.
I wish you had done more homework before buying.. but since you already have him and are smitten..
start reading.. read some more. and ask questions.
No, sulcatas are Not house pets. You can house thme inside, in thier own enclosure for maybe 3-4 years. but they really MUST be outside to get real sunshine. They get BIG, are destructive and are not housebroken.
Handleing a hatchling too much can cause a lot of stress. You are a large scary predator. Also, the risk of dropping them is high. be careful and keep it to a minimum until he adjusts to his new home.
oh and READ.. did I mention that yet? :) and WELCOME!!!! you will get up to date advice here.. be careful what you read on the internet. most sites are outdated. and some new info is being learned daily.
When you can. post pics of the enclosure.. more info will be needed. temps, type, substrate, diet etc...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
BruceAndCo. said:
Okay, first I do apologize for the vagueness of this post. Second, I'm sorry if this has already been covered, but I feel like I need a case-specific answer.

I just purchased a baby sulcata, and it won over my heart in the hour or so I spent discussing its needs with a man at the pet store. I just need to know a few things about keeping them and their normal behavior.

Bruce is four months old (so said the pet store), and is about three and a half inches long. I'm honestly not too sure about his weight. The behaviors I have questions about are these:

He's very vocal, or so it appears. He chirps when something startles him and on various other occasions. He also seems to grunt, like a forced, quick exhale, when he exerts himself while climbing or digging. I was wondering if this vocalization is normal, and if I can look forward to future conversations with him? :)

Also on my list of questions and concerns is his innate ability to sleep. After an hour of activity, he's out like a light once he's found somewhere dark and warm. Should young tortoises sleep so much?

He also occasionally blows bubbles with his nose. This is one of my more serious concerns, as I have heard that sulcatas are prone to respiratory infections in which this is a symptom. It doesn't happen often, but when he's in the bath, or just waking up he tends to blow a few. Is this safe?

And as a new parent, I have to know how much it's safe to handle the little guy. He's adorable and very personable. Not scared of much. He's actually sleeping under my shirt right now. I was wondering what the upper and lower limits of handling are for sulcatas.

Finally, he gets into these little modes when around one of the lights I was told to get for him where he rubs his face on his forelimbs like his nose itches. Is it the light or something else causing this?

Thanks in advance, and my last apologies are for the length of the post and for my ignorance in regards to sulcatas. I should have done more research before adopting him, but now that he's here I'd like to make sure he's happy and healthy. Any advice or tips at all would be much appreciated. I know you guys must get this all the time.

All the noise and bubbles are not normal and you do have a problem. 80 is fine for an ambient temp, but he needs a basking spot of around 100 for 12-14 hours a day. You've probably got a respiratory infection going on. This is usually caused by them being too cold or too cold and damp for too long. Along with meds from the vet, warming him up a bit will help a lot. I'd shoot for 80-85 for the whole enclosure, day and night, and the 100 degree basking spot. The nose rubbing is also related to this. And while babies do sleep a lot, usually the sick ones sleep even more. You'll need a temp gun and a digital thermometer with a remote probe to move around and check temps all over the enclosure.

At three and half inches, he's probably a little older than 4 months, but they do have wildly different growth rates. That would be at the really really high end.

I wouldn't handle him much at all if he was sick. The less stress the better at this point. In a couple of months after he's recovered, you'll probably be able to handle him a lot. I prefer to hand feed mine, but not pick them up and carry them around a lot. I handle mine daily for soaks and carrying them in and out of their indoor and outdoor enclosures. Other than that I try to interact with them with their feet on the ground.

Free roaming your house is generally not a good idea. Too cold down there on the floor. Too many things to get into and/or eat. Once they get too big for an indoor enclosure, most people build large, insulated, heated sheds for them. Do a search for "Maggie" and "Bob" and you'll see a good example of how to do up in that neck of the woods.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Seems to me
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Rye-update#axzz1G4nQp3qY
and
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread-URGENT-HELP--24244#axzz1G4nz7Kpp
Beef Jerkey is bad. Not constantly trying to find a reason why the method is bad. Never apposed the method at all, you know that Tom. ;)
If its not your method... why are you resentfull?

Tom said:
onarock said:

Not true. The last two or three have been newbies who don't even know about the care sheet, keeping them too cold or making other mistakes. The warm humid method that others pioneered and I've been touting has done a lot of good for a lot of tortoises and I resent the fact that you are constantly trying to find a reason why its bad. We all know (even you Paul), that the old beef jerky maker style dry way is not the way to go either. If you think the wet routine is so bad, why don't you make your own care sheet and then demonstrate to all of us how well it works.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
onarock said:
If its not your method... why are you resentfull?
This discussion doesn't belong on BruceAndCO.'s thread.

Sorry BruceAndCo. We'll take it elsewhere.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your little one.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi BruceAndCO:

Welcome to the forum!! May we know YOUR name?

Its already been said, but I'll reaffirm: Your little guy is probably suffering from a respiratory infection. They don't chirp or make vocal noises except during mating.

Its too bad you've become attached to him because I'm pretty sure they sold you a sick tortoise. You would be within your rights to take it back.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
BruceandCo: welcome. I'm sorry to hear that you are having problems with your new little tort. Do you have a veterinarian? There is a list of vets available here on the forum. I recommend that you take your little guy to a vet sooner rather than later.

My advice: bring notes with you. The more the better. Come to the vet prepared to discuss: diet, bowel movements, level of activity, enclosure (bring pics), temps etc. The more info you can provide for your vet, the better off you will be. Also bring a pad and pen so you can write down what the vet has to say. It will be a stressful experience, and notes will help you process once you arrive home.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.