brand new care giver

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyager

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sutter, Ca
OK, I am brand new to the sulcata tortoise realm. I just inherited 3 pretty big sulcatas and 2 leopard tortoises. Brought them all home in the back of my truck (don't bash me just yet) and all are doing fine in their nes outdoor digs. All are moving around great and eating like pigs. Except one, that seems more lethargic, watery eyes and I haven't seen this one eat yet. I checked on them several times today and they were out moving around, except this one. Came home from work and took it out of its bed (was in the same place since last night) and put it by water and feed. Moving around, but slower than the rest. Any advice? Maybe just stressed or dehydrated from the ride home?? I really enjoy them and want the best for them, so looking for some help from the experts, you all. Thanks in advance.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome, dyager!!

How big is this tortoise? If it were mine, I would find a way to sit him in some water for a forced soak. What is your weather like?

Some tortoises really don't like change. It just may be that he is stressed from the move.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

Which species is the lethargic one? Do you have separate pens for the two species? What are the sexes and sizes involved here?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) the leopards and sulcatas should have their own enclosure. Then, they may even Need to be separated into their own housing if bullying is going on.

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Mandeville, Louisiana
dyager said:
OK, I am brand new to the sulcata tortoise realm. I just inherited 3 pretty big sulcatas and 2 leopard tortoises. Brought them all home in the back of my truck (don't bash me just yet) and all are doing fine in their nes outdoor digs. All are moving around great and eating like pigs. Except one, that seems more lethargic, watery eyes and I haven't seen this one eat yet. I checked on them several times today and they were out moving around, except this one. Came home from work and took it out of its bed (was in the same place since last night) and put it by water and feed. Moving around, but slower than the rest. Any advice? Maybe just stressed or dehydrated from the ride home?? I really enjoy them and want the best for them, so looking for some help from the experts, you all. Thanks in advance.

Hello Dyager,

If I were you I'd just pack those babies up and send them to TheTortoiseWhisperer AKA ME!!! just to avoid all the chaos!!! lol, lol, lol JUSTTTT KIDDINGGGGGG!!!!!! Congratulation for those new members of your family, good luck with them and WELCOME to TFO!!! :) Hopefully you're able to send a couple of pictures when you get a chance, it'll be nice to see them :)

Addie

Status
Not open for further replies.