Please helpp!!! (baby with closed eyes)

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Desert Tortoise Mommy

5 Year Member
I just got 3 baby desert and one of them hasnt opened his eyes nd it isnt moving it was on the car ride home but not any more. Is it sick ?? :(

please and thank you

Attachments

• 1379452446234.jpg
    1379452446234.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 176

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Please helpp!!!

Help should be responding soon,, have you soaked it in Luke warm water yet?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
RE: Please helpp!!!

Looks like a pretty sick little baby.

First thing I see wrong with your picture is the substrate. Alfalfa pellets is about the worst substrate you can have for baby tortoises that need to be kept moist.

Tortoise eggs hatch during a monsoon season...yes, even desert tortoises. So when the eggs hatch, the ground is moist. Then they stay hidden, either underground, or in the tall grass or under bushes - hence in moisture again.

Try soaking this baby in warm water with a few drops of liquid bird vitamins added to the water. Leave him in there for about a half hour. And once you get the substrate changed to something you can keep moist, I think you'll see a big improvement in his demeanor. (cypress mulch, coco coir & top soil, orchid bark, etc)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
BIG DITTO Also, can you give us a run down of the enclosure you are housing him in? Second, please read Toms threads below for the best sully husbandry.

5 Year Member
Okay well I had to get this because the lady I got it from is a tortoise club nd I had to get the pellets. I will get top soil but one eye is partially open nd one isnt I will try nd soak him

please and thank you

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If she is a tortoise club member, that's one sad club that they don't know better then to use those pellets. When you get all the correct info from this forum, you should join that club and educate them. Very, very sad they don't know better:(

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
yep that sounds like a horrible club to me too
yes soak that little one and also how are your temperatures in there, does he has a water dish what kind of food and also hiding spots
you have to change the Substrate asap . and please make a picture of the enclosure

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

5 Year Member
He barely started taking a few bites just now and ima change it to top soil and its a 2ft wide nd length nd 1 foot high tank
Temps I dont know im going to get a thermometer right now

please and thank you

please and thank you

Attachments

• 1379463300919.jpg
    1379463300919.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 126

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Tom just wrote you about your lamp in your other threat

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I've shared in a few of your threads that the coil UV bulb was bad news. They have a reputation of causing eye problems and "eyes closed" is usually the first sign.

You've been encouraged to soak and change the substrate.

Have you considered more about the basking light? The under gravel heater will not help these babies get the temps they need to digest food and be healthy.

Sent from my TFOapp

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Yvonne is super right and super experienced so please do what she says, immediately.
And yes, those coil lights need to be gone-gone-gone.
As for a tortoise club member telling you you must use rabbit pellets, shame on her and whatever club she belongs to.
Hot and humid = healthy and happy.
Those babies need spa time. Nice warm water under warm lights. Ahhhh, spaaaa!
If you go to Home Depot, they have organic garden soil. Do not buy or use the stuff that has fertilizers added to it.

Here is a good closed chambers thread for you to also read:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/post-741697.html

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wrote up a whole care sheet for you in your other thread.

They need a basking spot.

You need to turn the coil bulb off.

And they need to be hydrated.

There is little room for error with these babies. Make a mistake and don't correct it quickly and they can easily die.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Sorry to see such a cute baby so dry looking. I would give him two or even three warm baths a day for a few days until his eyes open and he's actively eating and moving around. Get a temp gun from HomeDepot so you can check temps all around the enclosure. A temp gauge is ok, but a temp gun is a must. Keep us posted.

5 Year Member
Everyone thank you for one. And i will go get a uvb that is a long one not compact. I will soak him but he does go to the water and get out and walk around a little but not normally. Where should the water be placed ? in the center ? Heat? Or shade area? I have been trying everything u guys say but its been hard to figure out what substrate to get I think once tom replies on my other topic I will 99.9% go get the coco coir asap when I get paid. I got a basking light the reptile professional gave me its heating up and they have the water so thats good for now. Im trying everything I can. I will bathe him again

please and thank you

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Babies are so very fragile. But you have everyone's support. Just ask, and do, as quickly as possible.
You can do this! We're with ya! Cool that he is eating a little. : )

5 Year Member
Also where should he sleep ? He keeps walking to the heat side and sleeping. Its might time now time to turn all the lights off. Should I keep him there ? Or move him with his brothers or sisters under the hiding? ?

please and thank you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd just leave him be.

If you get them out for some sunshine a couple of times a week, you won't need any indoor UV. Just the heat lamp.

I like to put the water toward the warm side.

5 Year Member
Okay thank you :) I hope it gets better :) maybe I should buy one bulb which is the power sun from zoo med I saw its a UVB and a heat lamp? Just a thought.

please and thank you

Should I keep the heat light in all night ? I might have to its 81.6 it dropped from 90 when I turned it off at 10 and its 10:15 now. Should I bring the heat a little lower its not really getting warm just room temp

please and thank you

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
You can use a ceramic heat emitter (can be expensive if you are on a budget right at this moment) or you can use a black night heat light or an infrared night heat bulb---whichever you choose to use will be effective to offer night heat so if the tort gets the desire he can move towards the warmth as well as it will keep the night temp steady..

If your baby is under the weather then the night temps should remain at no less than 80 degrees...

If you do dampen the substrate (when you change it out)you will also need to keep the temps no less than 80 at all times along with providing a basking spot of 90-100 degrees...

If your budget does not allow for a substrate change right now...please get some clean dirt from outside---free of ants, free of pesticides ...this is a tort that thrives with earth substrate or as close to that type as possible...

5 Year Member
Im soaking them in luke warm water heres a picture of them. Also they press there necks up against the tank or whereever they are is that normal?

please and thank you

Attachments

• 1379532707781.jpg
    1379532707781.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 1379532715497.jpg
    1379532715497.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 69
Status
Not open for further replies.