Boxie not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dreamwallaby

5 Year Member
Ok, so you might remember my other post about finding a boxie that I can't rerelease. I called the rescue and left a couple messages, but no call back yet. So in the interim I split my outdoor Russian enclosure into two(see pics). I have offered spring mix, worms, strawberries, pill bugs and he hasn't eaten them. He is interested when I walk over and will actually come towards me but when I offer the food he just looks at it and won't try it. Anything else I can try? I have cat food but I was hoping that would be a last resort. I have had him one week.

image-1815601574.png

Boxie side

image-792970273.png

Russian side

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Tortoises can take weeks to settle down and start eating; he's no exception.

All you can do is establish a routine so he knows what to expect and when... and don't watch him!

A daily soak for 20 minutes before he's warmed up properly will keep him hydrated.

Dreamwallaby

5 Year Member
Right after I posted he started eating, figures :) but I'm happy to see him finally eating some worms. Maybe he'll be willing to try the fruit soon. He does soak himself several times a day.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
A healthy box turtle loves the water, and will usually soak a few times a day by himself. Try chopping up some fruit (strawberries or melon or blueberries..) with some greens (spring mix) and some veggies .....I use a cooked carrot and sweet potato, and some soaked turtle brittle. I mix this all up and put some worms on top...very healthy and filled with vitamins. I change the veggies and greens, but always use the carrots and sweet potato for vit. A and the turtle brittle. Mine love this.

Status
Not open for further replies.