Three-toed boxie keeps burrowing

mukmewx

I have this young three-toed boxie, he has been a wonderful eater and gained size over the summer. I thought I would try to hibernate him since he has been outside all summer, I did all the checks to prepare for hibernation, he was fine when I checked on him after 40F nights (with a small night heatlamp to ensure it doesn't get any colder) Then I checked the weather and the temp was going into the high 70s, so I thought I would end his hibernation early and bring him inside(since it had gotten so warm) I have a enclosure already set up for another young boxie that's not doing well (complete with everything, heat lamps, hides, waterdish, coconut chor sub.) He ate a cricket (now he has food in his stomach) but now he eats nothing, shows no interest in food and only wants to burrow, and stay there. He NEVER burrowed before and ALWAYS ate, even chasing his food. Here is my problem: He ate, so now it will be another 2 weeks before I can start to hibernate again. I don't want to do this, I don't feel like it's a good idea to last over a month on one cricket. Do you think he will snap out of it and start behaving normally? I just want my turtle back the way he was! I feel like I really missed him up taking him out early.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Keep him semi-warm so he can digest what's in his stomach, then let him hibernate. He'll get up on his own in the spring.