lismar79

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio USA

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I cannot get your second link to open. I also have a three toed box turtle in an enclosure very similar size to yours. I got several suggestions from people here on the forum. And I have a T5 HO hood 48 inches,and 5.0 HO bulb my enclosure is 20 inches tall. And I have 265 W floodlights on one end of the enclosure for heat.I will be posting pictures soon for input from others.I put a bunch of plants in there to help block some of the lights because I was told box turtles don't like a lot of light.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I realize my reply probably wasn't much help, but I set up my enclosure with Tips from people on the forum so I hope it is right. It sounds to me anyway that you were on the right track. Hopefully some more experienced people well pipe in soon.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I realize my reply probably wasn't much help, but I set up my enclosure with Tips from people on the forum so I hope it is right. It sounds to me anyway that you were on the right track. Hopefully some more experienced people well pipe in soon.
Thanks!

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I cannot get your second link to open. I also have a three toed box turtle in an enclosure very similar size to yours. I got several suggestions from people here on the forum. And I have a T5 HO hood 48 inches,and 5.0 HO bulb my enclosure is 20 inches tall. And I have 265 W floodlights on one end of the enclosure for heat.I will be posting pictures soon for input from others.I put a bunch of plants in there to help block some of the lights because I was told box turtles don't like a lot of light.
Where did you purchase you light?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Where did you purchase you light?
I ended up getting it from tortoise supply.com.they seemed to be the only place I could buy a 48 inch H0 hood. I never thought they would be that hard to find but they were.they arrived pretty quickly and in great shape. No complaints at all.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Here is a Picture of what I have done so far. I will make a new thread when I'm ready to have it critiqued :) but this gives you the idea.ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1413073394.276653.jpg

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Thats almost what I have for my baby leopard . I drilled 1/4" holes and slid metal rods across the tank . The installed my lights and che on them . Then cut plexiglass to cover the top . I also taped off the front and sprayed the tank black so he can't see out . Works great .

Attachments

• 1413077200524.jpg
    1413077200524.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 11

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Thats almost what I have for my baby leopard . I drilled 1/4" holes and slid metal rods across the tank . The installed my lights and che on them . Then cut plexiglass to cover the top .
That's a cool idea and I think that's exactly what I will do. My hubby is a fabricator so should be easy to get done! Thanks :)

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You can get the rods from Home Depot . You have to drill a small hole slow then slowly go biger . This is so you don't crack the tank . But it holds humidity and heatv well . I have the lights plugged into five dollar timers for lamps . Got them from Home Depot . Then I have my che on a thermostat . The humidity is from a zoomed humidifier .

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
You can get the rods from Home Depot . You have to drill a small hole slow then slowly go biger . This is so you don't crack the tank . But it holds humidity and heatv well . I have the lights plugged into five dollar timers for lamps . Got them from Home Depot . Then I have my che on a thermostat . The humidity is from a zoomed humidifier .
Mine is an open top but has three plexi strips running the length. So running the bar is a good solution to get the lights under those supports...think it must have had a top in sections at some point before I got it. I have foam board to sit on top to hold heat & humidity. I have powerstrip timers from lowes but have not even looked at thermostats since my other two don't have. (sullys is always on & russian doesn't need one). Where did you get yours?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
It is about half coconut coir and half orchid bark. I just added some leaves on top of it tonight. I'm just about ready to get brave and make a thread for it.
Awesome, do it :) one last question: what kind of leaves??? I have one maple tree but a million oak, which I assume would be a no...

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I am actually not sure what kind of leaves they are, a few maples at least.I made sure I did not put any of my laurel leaves in there because I know those are poisonous.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Hmm, why would oak leaves be a no no in a Boxie enclosure. Oak trees make up a large part of the natural habitat of boxies at least here in Maryland and Pennsylvania and Virginia. Dig down under a nice thick patch of moist, semi-composted hardwood leaves (including oak leaves) and it's full of all the critters box turtles love.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Hmm, why would oak leaves be a no no in a Boxie enclosure. Oak trees make up a large part of the natural habitat of boxies at least here in Maryland and Pennsylvania and Virginia. Dig down under a nice thick patch of moist, semi-composted hardwood leaves (including oak leaves) and it's full of all the critters box turtles love.
Ok! Glad to use them if I can, I just remember reading that they have toxic properties and I have to remove them when they fall in my sullys out door enclosure
http://m.thetortoisetable.org.uk/m/plants_19.asp?st=true&mode=main&catID=261

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Mine is an open top but has three plexi strips running the length. So running the bar is a good solution to get the lights under those supports...think it must have had a top in sections at some point before I got it. I have foam board to sit on top to hold heat & humidity. I have powerstrip timers from lowes but have not even looked at thermostats since my other two don't have. (sullys is always on & russian doesn't need one). Where did you get yours?
Petco it was 30-40 bucks