boxie garden in bloom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Montreal, QC, Canada
Terry, everytime I see pics of your ponds, I am just want to stay where I am and look at them. You have made a peaceful and more than beautiful ponds for your babies. I would love to just sit in front of it and read a book or listening to music :). How long does it take for everything to grow beautifully like that?
Thank you for sharing :)

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Do you have "Sunset" magazine out east? Because this looks like it belongs in it!

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
terryo said:
The plants circled are red clover, which spreads like crazy, and the little pink flowers are just some kind of garden grass that flowers in the early Summer or Spring.

Awesome! I like the way that red clover looks. I might have to get me some! :)

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Beautiful Box garden. I love the rock walls. Do they try and climb out? I will be making a Box garden in the next couple weeks for the one I brought home from Kentucky. I wanted to use rock as well but worried he could get a good foot hold and climb out. How high is your walls? Is your enclosure in the shade? With the beautiful moss I was wondering how much sun it will take.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Thank you. You are all very kind. Missy, my son just cememted slate to make the walls. On the top he put bigger pieces of slate and he indented them about 6 in. Even if they climb up, which I never have seen anyone do, they can't get over the over-hanged (is that a word?) top. The walls are about three feet. Toward the back is the hibernation cave. It gets sun most of the day up until around 3 o'clock. At the pond end, there is a big hosta, and it's always damp under it, and I notice on a hot day they are all under that ledge in back of the hosta, where it's cooler.

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
Thanks Terry, I will post pics when I get it done. I will try hard to make you proud, LOL. :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
how big is it? can you put a little mosquito fish in the water to eat the larvae?
You should post your winter picture here too. there was a lot of snow not to long ago!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Laura it's 22'...without the hibernation cave by 6', or close to that, if I remember right. No mosquito fish....they are nasty little things. And the boxie's like the larvae.
The turtle garden from the window. There was no place to walk out there
018-22.jpg

In the beginning of Spring
020-21.jpg

017-26.jpg

now
014-37.jpg

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
Gorgeous as always Terry!

I would love to use slate like that, but I am just a poor working schlub and it is very expensive here. I resort to railroad ties and cement blocks and bricks instead ;)

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Thank you Kristina.....coming from you...a very big compliment. All that slate and stones came from my water turtle/koi pond that used to be there. We had to put pipes down in the soil so the water would drain, and all new soil, because there was a very big hole there. The pond was over 1,000 gallons.

Dutch

5 Year Member
Virginia
wow Terryo, that is the most wonderful and amazing turtle garden I have seen! Wonderful job!

Status
Not open for further replies.