Box turtle needs to eat more veggies...

crissyshine

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Durham, NC
So I've posted about my 5 yr old boxie not eating his veggies and being a seriously picky eater.
Now it seems he only likes the turtle pellets (which give him vitamins) and protiens( worms/grasshoppers/ crickets). He doesn't even eat fruit anymore. So I've completely givin up on trying to make him eat greens.

I really want him to start eating greens and have a healthier, balanced diet.
I've tried mashing up his pellets and spreading it on leafy greens, but no dice. Before, someone recommended not feeding him for a few days, then giving him greens so he'd have to eat something.
He is a very active turtle, regularly soaks in his water dish, regularly eats too.
Looks healthy, clear eyes and nose. Shell and skin look great.

Are there any other methods you guys can recommend? Or should I force the greens on him again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    908.2 KB · Views: 13

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Chicory, mallow, mulberry leaves, plantain are all good weeds. Mine only seems to want live food and protein like eggs and dog food. The only veggie I have had luck with is corn. It might ne the ti.e of year too just coming back into active season. Very pretty boxie btw.

crissyshine

5 Year Member
Durham, NC
Chicory, mallow, mulberry leaves, plantain are all good weeds. Mine only seems to want live food and protein like eggs and dog food. The only veggie I have had luck with is corn. It might ne the ti.e of year too just coming back into active season. Very pretty boxie btw.
I'll check those weeds out. I didn't know boxies could eat corn. So I guess I'll check out the farmers market for fresh corn.
Thank you, he is a beautiful boxie, I want to keep him as healthy as possible. I've had him since he was a tiny little thing.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I do corn in moderation. Its full of suger so I skip fruit when feeding it. I cut up a cob an put a a half one in there. Throughout the day he pushes it around to eat all sides. Tomatoes too he has nibled but not really eaten a whole lot.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
My turtles often don't digest corn well, but they do enjoy it. I give it to them when we have leftovers - family members leave a lot behind on the cob. On occasion the corn gets old & wilted before I get a chance to cook it. Then I feed it to them raw.