Box Turtle Moves Inside Egg

ShannonC

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
That's so awesome! I used to breed exotic birds, and I LOVED watching them develop inside the eggs!

ShannonC

South Carolina
I guess we just don't think of things we're not exposed to!! I LOVED raising all the exotic birds.....but they are SO misunderstood , therefore SO mistreated, intentionally or unintentionally. My heart just couldn't take all the neglect and ignorance anymore......I HAD to stop! I think people are never expecting the amount of noise and mess. And it's very hard to get a pet sitter for a bird that is really anything bigger than a cockatiel! People are just afraid of them....and rightly so, in a respect sort of way......they can take off a finger in about one second!!

But is was very exciting to watch the babies grow inside the eggs, especially the bigger ones like the African Greys and Macaws!! They have more air space in their eggs (just due to size) and it's easier to see and identify all the movement. The most exciting part for me was the very beginning, when the veins start to develop, then a couple days later, you can see a little heartbeat......ohhhhh! Then you have that last little bit of time that they almost fill up the entire egg and you can't see ANYTHING.......just waiting for that first pip!! I really miss it!!! But it really is a 24/7/365 job!!! Around the clock when you are hand-feeding babies. I took babies everywhere I went.....even on vacations!!

Turtlepete

South Florida
I remember seeing this once with some Chelydra eggs. About two weeks prior to hatching, they practically looked like they were swimming in the egg when candled. So cool.