Box Turtle missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
She just woke up and is gone! Tuesday she was chilling under the log, my Gardner cleaned out my pen for me, being careful of her sleeping area...and today she is gone..

I was really thinking about finding a home for her and her sister plus the baby, now i am sure.

I am going to see if i can find her at my neighbors house's and do the normal posting and flyers.. but this is the second box that has escaped from me in two years.

I feel like a failure. If she would have explored the yard i would have watched and seen how she reacted... i could have fixed any spot.. but she was hibernating two days ago and gone now? WTH?

I dont think it was anything else..

I guess i am going to find my ladies a home and pray to God that i am just over looking Sylvia..

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
Are you sure she's gone? If there was a change in temperature she may have dug down deep. I can't tell you the number of times I was convinced one of mine was gone, only to find him/her basking on the next warm day.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Yes it is possible.. if she i am going to spank her rear end.... i am in the process of hunting for her. right now i am getting out of my jammies.. yes i am that lazy its 5pm and i am in my jammies.. Love the hubby working out of town on these days

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
keep all your gates closed and secured. she still might be somewhere in your yard. just keep looking. i have "lost" boxies before, but they are excellent diggers, climbers, and love going into bushes.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Terra are you sure people aren't stealing them? Your pen is clearly visible from the street. Look all over, be 10000000% sure she still isn't nearby.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
She was hidden and no, they would not have took, just one.. the other i lost a long time ago.. before this house.

I found her escape are.. it is fixed now.. I know she went next door, the fence line is horrible there..

The sad thing is now my husband will fix it. It took a lose for him to believe me.

I dropped a note next door, she has a little poodle and i hope they find it..

So i made a change to the pen
penphotos002.jpg

Corrections made.....

The before pic was....

penphotos015.jpg

See the escape spot? on the left side... I looked over it a hundred times! never caught it

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One cinder block isn't nearly tall enough to contain a Russian or a box turtle. They are very good climbers.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
So Cal
I'm confused ... are you missing a box turtle or a Russian?

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Box turtle is missing

Russian is just in the photo..

I havent went to 2 blocks yet.... since i have a child and havent figured out how to stablelize them.

I this weekend my hubby is going to work with me.. As i said before.. now he feels a urgency

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I have to agree one cinder block is not tall enough to prevent escapes, even capping the corners, you need at lest 2 brick talll fence. Here is hoping she is still around.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I figured that I would have time from when she woke up to see if it was tall enough or not.. but i didnt have time..

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I know what you're feeling. I lost a 15 year old female Blanding's about a month ago. Worst feeling.

M

Maggie Cummings

If you stagger the blocks that makes them stable enough. Remember I am the Queen of escape artists. By that I mean I am always asleep napping on the couch like Dagwood when someone escapes.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I used to lose my box turtle regularly back when I was an irresponsible, dumb kid, but he'd always turn up.

Come to think of it, why did my mother let that happen so many times... I going to call and give her a stern talking to for being so irresponsible with her irresponsible child and his turtle!

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
I found the thread!!!
Although I now knwo the ending to this thread, by reading another thread
A belated: I hope you find her Good luck!
Ide help look if i was near by!!

keep us in touch!!

P.s Congratulations XD

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Thank you! She is still under the succulent plant in her pen!!! i swear she was 100% covered before.

She is doing great now... Me and her are going to talk! soon!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
well I am just glad she made it thru the winter in good health.

Status
Not open for further replies.