Box Turtle constantly flipping over...

Status
Not open for further replies.

socialworker81

5 Year Member
I purchased a three toed box turtle over the summer. I kept her inside, as I did not feel I should hibernate her, as she was new to me.
She was pretty inactive during the winter. Recently, she has become more active, as the weather is getting a little better. I am not ready to move her yet, as I live in NW PA and they are still calling for snow this week.
Right now, it seems as though she is trying to climb out of the cage. I have a top on the enclosure, as I also own cats. She is falling after getting on her back legs and is not able to get herself right side up. Yesterday she flipped herself 4 times. Today, my husband and I were at work all day. When I got home, I checked on her... She was on her back with her eyes closed and I was afraid she hadn't made it. I did flip her over and she started walking around. I did just give her a worm and some banana, her favorite foods, and she is eating.
Does anyone have any ideas to assist in stopping this? I am afraid I will come home one day and she will be gone... Thanks!

I did read the post a little further down, about fixing the hide and the sides of the enclosure. However, I have seen her try to climb up the other sides of the enclosure (not the corners) Thanks!

wallaceandtilly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chepstow
I had the same problem with my horsfeild tortoises and bought some aquarium backing paper which I put around the inside walls of my table top and it has worked really well the paper is too slippery for them to attempt climbing on and it looks great, hope this helps

socialworker81

5 Year Member
Thanks for the tips! I do have plants in there, which she LOVES to hide in. I guess I will look into getting more. When my husband built the table, he put Frp paneling to keep the wood from being damaged by water. It's fantastic and not toxic. It is slightly ridged and goes half way up the table. The aquarium backing might stop her from trying. I don't think she fell over today while I was gone. But I fed her bananas, her favorite treat, and she was excited and climbed up her log and flipped. Her log will be moving soon too :) thanks again!

lovelyrosepetal

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
I am surprised you are having this problem with a box turtle. All of mine have always been able to flip themselves back over. They have amazing neck and leg strength. The only one that could not was the rescue who was weak and eventually went to meet his maker. I hope you are able to fix this problem and good luck with your little one.

Michael in MO

5 Year Member
Hi if you are sure you have a female and like you said she's constantly pacing/roaming looking to get out, there may be a chance she's gravid and looking for a place to nest/lay eggs.. only thing that will settle her down is a) either providing her a place to lay.. or she may eventually surface lay.. you may want to palpatate to feel for eggs and/or look into (research) this possibility much more in depth. Not sure if you've ever bumped into the little info-nugget that boxturtles can store sperm for multiple years so she didn't need to be with a male last summer to be gravid.

Status
Not open for further replies.