box turtle magnet

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
i put a grass pile in the box turtle pen yesterday in getting ready for fall winter ....... it's like a box turtle magnet

DSCF6533.jpg

DSCF6529.jpg

DSCF6531.jpg

DSCF6532.jpg

DSCF6535.jpg

DSCF6528.jpg

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
i put a grass pile in the box turtle pen yesterday in getting ready for fall winter ....... it's like a box turtle magnet

DSCF6533.jpg

DSCF6529.jpg

DSCF6531.jpg

DSCF6532.jpg

DSCF6535.jpg

DSCF6528.jpg
I love that face! I think that box turtles are kinda the poor cousin of tortoises. They have such great personalities, active, and funny. We should keep more of them...

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
I stack up sticks and brush and put piles of grass clippings over them in the woods behind my house for the wild box turtles. I often see box turtle forms and trails of clippings leading from the piles off into the grass.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
I stack up sticks and brush and put piles of grass clippings over them in the woods behind my house for the wild box turtles. I often see box turtle forms and trails of clippings leading from the piles off into the grass.
At my church in rural Ocala, there is a large wooded area in the back where I once found a wild female fl box turtle. She was in a burn pit that was way too steep to climb out, she must have not realized how big of a drop it was and fell in. If I didn't help it out it would've died. This was years ago, I really want to see another one to take pics, post on here, and know their population is okay in that area. Do you think there are still some in the area if I saw a full grown one years ago? And do you think if there are piles of grass from lawn mowing that they would be attracted to it? How am I able to find one? I really miss seeing them.

By the way the area is on the edge of a field area, the forest is pine, and at the back less than a quarter mile away is a pretty steep ravine with a stream at the bottom. Do they like the flat upland pine or will they go down to the bottom of the ravine to the stream and stay in that area? Sorry for asking so many questions, I just want to know as I miss them and you seem to be an expert :)

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
At my church in rural Ocala, there is a large wooded area in the back where I once found a wild female fl box turtle. She was in a burn pit that was way too steep to climb out, she must have not realized how big of a drop it was and fell in. If I didn't help it out it would've died. This was years ago, I really want to see another one to take pics, post on here, and know their population is okay in that area. Do you think there are still some in the area if I saw a full grown one years ago? And do you think if there are piles of grass from lawn mowing that they would be attracted to it? How am I able to find one? I really miss seeing them.

By the way the area is on the edge of a field area, the forest is pine, and at the back less than a quarter mile away is a pretty steep ravine with a stream at the bottom. Do they like the flat upland pine or will they go down to the bottom of the ravine to the stream and stay in that area? Sorry for asking so many questions, I just want to know as I miss them and you seem to be an expert :)
Box turtles like everything you described. They like to live along a border with woods on one side and open areas on the other. The ravine is where they will go to drink and soak in the stream. Pine forests go hand in hand with Florida box turtles and some people use pine needles to add authenticity to their captive enclosures. If you have seen an adult turtle in the area there is a very good chance there are more. In 14 years at my current place I have seen about half a dozen eastern box turtles, but I think for every one I see there are probably many more that saw me. I see box turtle signs more than the turtles themselves, forms in grass, leaves and clippings, bites taken from strawberries and tomatoes that hang close to the ground, tracks through the grass or muddy areas along the woods, etc. If you create stick, leaves and grass clipping piles they will use them to hunt, hide and escape the heat of the day.