Box Turtle - help

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtle_gal

5 Year Member
Again, I'm still wondering if anyone has suggestions on keeping the temperature up? I keep the ceramic heat emitter on constantly. I mist 2 or 3 times daily with lukewarm water. It won't get above 80 and at night goes below 70. I worry about him/her... :(

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
I just checked my temperatures and on the side under the long tube light it's 76, and on the side under the heat emitter it's 83. I just shut off the light, and the it might go down a little..not much....on that side with the light. That's about what mine stay at. In a few more weeks when it gets cold here I'll cover the top with a towel or wrapping tape to get the temperatures up because I like my house on the cool side. So you might try covering the top with something. I have a screen top and I cover most of it with clear wrapping tape. (this is a 40 gal breeder tank that he's in now)

arpooch

5 Year Member
Are you keeping him in a tank? Because that can cause them a lot of stress. If you are I would suggest a very large rubbermaid container instead.

turtle_gal

5 Year Member
I don't think that will hold in the humidity very well. And I haven't heard of it causing them a lot of stress.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
arpooch said:
Are you keeping him in a tank? Because that can cause them a lot of stress. If you are I would suggest a very large rubbermaid container instead.

Most long term box Turtle keepers (myself included and the one's that I personally know) keep hatchlings in a glass vivarium. It tends to hold in the humidity better than a tub. Small box turtles can dehydrate very quickly and need high humidity. I only cover the back and sides, and leave the front open so I can interact with mine, and get them used to me. If you feel that he's being stressed by being able to see out then you can cover the front, sides and back to about 6 in.

turtle_gal

5 Year Member
Thanks for all your help, Terry! You have provided me invaluable information!

However, s/he still hasn't eaten. We tried bloodworms again tonight so I can't be positive of where s/he ate any of them but it doesn't look like it. I'm starting to become discouraged; I feel like I'm doing something wrong. I've been misting the enclosure then taking him/her out to put in the soaking water while I prepare the food, then I put it in another container and put him/her inside and place it in the enclosure and leave. I've had him/her for over a week now, so I hope something changes soon.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Don't give up. I've had box turtles hatch in the Summer and didn't find them until the following Summer. Keep offering small insets and small worms cut up...soak some pellets...small meal worms ...crickets....Check and make sure her eyes are open and clear...enclosure is warm enough...If nothing happens in a while you could try Kristina's baby food soaks.

http://tortoiseforum.org/Thread-Vitamin-soaks-baby-food-soaks-for-ailing-tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.