Bottom shell

mmorales9292

Location (City and/or State)
Chicago
I’ve recently noticed my tortoise bottom shell looks like this is this normal?

Attachments

• A7AD37DC-0B1F-4543-B05E-FC7BBA81F804.jpeg
    A7AD37DC-0B1F-4543-B05E-FC7BBA81F804.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 92

AgataP

Seattle, WA
It does look weird. Also how much does the tort weigh?
can you please post pictures of his enclosure?
I have 7 mo sulcata and plastron does not look like that.

@Tom will be able to answer in more details.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’ve recently noticed my tortoise bottom shell looks like this is this normal?
Looks like a typical dry housed baby. Pet shops, breeders and vets almost universally give the old incorrect care info for this species. I only know of a handful of breeders that start them correctly.

Show us how you are housing the baby?

Here is the current and correct care info. Get the baby into the proper monsoon conditions in the correct enclosure and that will flatten back out over time.

Your questions are welcome.

mmorales9292

Chicago
Looks like a typical dry housed baby. Pet shops, breeders and vets almost universally give the old incorrect care info for this species. I only know of a handful of breeders that start them correctly.

Show us how you are housing the baby?

Here is the current and correct care info. Get the baby into the proper monsoon conditions in the correct enclosure and that will flatten back out over time.

Your questions are welcome.

Attachments

• 3A75F868-1FA3-4895-85AD-979C56A52196.jpeg
    3A75F868-1FA3-4895-85AD-979C56A52196.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 52
  • A87A618E-AB2C-4ECB-8908-B534E841EEEB.jpeg
    A87A618E-AB2C-4ECB-8908-B534E841EEEB.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50

mmorales9292

Chicago
So, we have night light, day light and uvb, he got the food and water dish we also have a reptifogger to keep the humidity. He eats greens as well as hays and grass. He gets 30 -45 minutes soaks daily. We put calcium powder on his food once a week and all his food gets soaked to keep him well hydrated

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Do you soak him every day in warm water for 20-30 min?

He looks very underweight .... how much did he weigh when you got him and how much does it weigh now?

Tom linked you to the care sheet so study that.
Ask questions.

Just as an example here is my 7 months old sulcata. Yes on his back because it tried to run and I also want to check the plastron sometimes to make sure it’s healthy. 173AB02A-B826-40B6-BED5-D1F554C559A4.jpeg

mmorales9292

Chicago
Last weight I had on him he was 6oz that was back in November I haven’t weighed him and we did start feeding him more. He gets soaked daily for 30-45 minutes

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Hopefully now he has great care and keeps on growing.
Yeah I would check his weight ones a month. It’s an easier way to keep track of growth ...
don’t get obsessed like me and weigh it 10 times a day ? .... not anymore.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
The lamps would be better hung so that you can adjust the temps by raising or lowering them and the clamps have been known to fail and cause fires , and/or injury to the torts so keep an eye on that.

mmorales9292

Chicago
Hopefully now he has great care and keeps on growing.
Yeah I would check his weight ones a month. It’s an easier way to keep track of growth ...
don’t get obsessed like me and weigh it 10 times a day ? .... not anymore.
Lol I will definitely start weighing once a month I will say he grew from when I first got him he was like 2oz. I was just concerned about the bottom. He’s super active. I do only feed him every other day. Should I feed him more often?

mmorales9292

Chicago
Hi and welcome,
The lamps would be better hung so that you can adjust the temps by raising or lowering them and the clamps have been known to fail and cause fires , and/or injury to the torts so keep an eye on that.
Thank you I will switch that around

AgataP

Seattle, WA
Lol I will definitely start weighing once a month I will say he grew from when I first got him he was like 2oz. I was just concerned about the bottom. He’s super active. I do only feed him every other day. Should I feed him more often?

Yes!
They are grazers. They pretty much explore, stare from the hideout and snack - oh that’s like me ??

What do you usually feed him?

mmorales9292

Chicago
Yes!
They are grazers. They pretty much explore, stare from the hideout and snack - oh that’s like me ??

What do you usually feed him?
He eats Timothy hay, grass, and a variety of greens. He also has Mazuri pellets. We soak the food before giving it to him as well