Boris’ New Enclosure :) Flies (:

eliseandboris

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I’ve been meaning to post pics of my little guys new enclosure. I know it’s not big enough for him, but he’s an office tortoise and I’m working on getting him into a more appropriate home. There’s not much room now unfortunately. He was in a 40 gallon tank for years, so this is luxury for him right now. He has started using the ramp and is very happy with his new hiding spots. I’m very happy for him, but understand he should be in a much larger enclosure eventually. Since he’s not mine and there is limited space, it’s a process.
So these flies… I bought some new reptibark and a few weeks in noticed white things in the water that weren’t moving. Then one day there were many hoping around in his small dish I basically use for humidity purposes. They aren’t on him or bothering him. I can’t see any in the substrate, just the dish. They kinda hop in the water, but just stay there treading water mostly. Any ideas? They don’t look like any fruit flies 8’ve seen, but they are roughly the same size.
IMG_8403.jpegIMG_8341.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8033.jpeg
    IMG_8033.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7941.jpeg
    IMG_7941.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_7936.jpeg
    IMG_7936.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Hello!
This enclosure looks great! A big step forward from the old tank. Hopefully, someday he will get a big pen in the yard. But I don't see a UVB lamp here...

These tiny bugs, are probably of no concern (I think you can find a lot of them under the dishes). Think of them as of enclosure janitors. You may mix the top and lower substrate layers - perhaps there is a little of still water on the bottom of the enclosure.

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
Hello!
This enclosure looks great! A big step forward from the old tank. Hopefully, someday he will get a big pen in the yard. But I don't see a UVB lamp here...

These tiny bugs, are probably of no concern (I think you can find a lot of them under the dishes). Think of them as of enclosure janitors. You may mix the top and lower substrate layers - perhaps there is a little of still water on the bottom of the enclosure.
Thanks, Alex! I do have a UBB light it’s just not on at the moment since I don’t use it 24/7. I’m soooo glad to hear the flies aren’t an issue! Janitors? They clean? How nice of them :)

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thanks, Alex! I do have a UBB light it’s just not on at the moment since I don’t use it 24/7. I’m soooo glad to hear the flies aren’t an issue! Janitors? They clean? How nice of them :)
About UVB - great. I just haven't seen any lamp on the photos, that's why I was worried.

Yes, many small co-habitants like springtails or roly polies are actually useful - they feast on food and poo leftovers and keep real buggers (like gnats larvae) under control.

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
Awesome! Thanks, Alex. Glad you’re keeping an eye out:) I would certainly want to know if he needed UVB and wasn’t getting it. I leave it on a few hours for a few times a week. I don’t have a meter, so I’m going by the estimates I see out there. I take the fixture off the top so it doesn’t get accidentally turned on or knocked over.

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Awesome! Thanks, Alex. Glad you’re keeping an eye out:) I would certainly want to know if he needed UVB and wasn’t getting it. I leave it on a few hours for a few times a week. I don’t have a meter, so I’m going by the estimates I see out there. I take the fixture off the top so it doesn’t get accidentally turned on or knocked over.
Okay, got it!
With an artificial UVB source he needs more exposure. So it's better to use it everyday and preferably at the time he basks. I guess he does "the morning sploots" under the lamp :)
And you can use calcium powder with vitamin D3 once a week (or complex vitamins such as Reptivite, once a week, in addition to calcium powder w/o D3)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I’ve been meaning to post pics of my little guys new enclosure. I know it’s not big enough for him, but he’s an office tortoise and I’m working on getting him into a more appropriate home. There’s not much room now unfortunately. He was in a 40 gallon tank for years, so this is luxury for him right now. He has started using the ramp and is very happy with his new hiding spots. I’m very happy for him, but understand he should be in a much larger enclosure eventually. Since he’s not mine and there is limited space, it’s a process.
So these flies… I bought some new reptibark and a few weeks in noticed white things in the water that weren’t moving. Then one day there were many hoping around in his small dish I basically use for humidity purposes. They aren’t on him or bothering him. I can’t see any in the substrate, just the dish. They kinda hop in the water, but just stay there treading water mostly. Any ideas? They don’t look like any fruit flies 8’ve seen, but they are roughly the same size.
View attachment 370675View attachment 370676
The bugs are called springtails. They are harmless detrivores. They come from the surrounding environment and colonize our warm damp tortoise enclosures.

What type of UV bulb are you using?

eliseandboris

Massachusetts
Okay, got it!
With an artificial UVB source he needs more exposure. So it's better to use it everyday and preferably at the time he basks. I guess he does "the morning sploots" under the lamp :)
And you can use calcium powder with vitamin D3 once a week (or complex vitamins such as Reptivite, once a week, in addition to calcium powder w/o D3)
Thank you! I was afraid I might give him too much. I will do it more often. A few hours daily? How long is too long to leave it on? I’ve been limiting him to about 3 hours.

He has some calcium powder w/D3 and cuttlebone. I I guess I need other vitamins too. I’ll get some reptivite if you think that’s best. What do you think of Mazuri?

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
Thank you! I was afraid I might give him too much. I will do it more often. A few hours daily? How long is too long to leave it on? I’ve been limiting him to about 3 hours.

He has some calcium powder w/D3 and cuttlebone. I I guess I need other vitamins too. I’ll get some reptivite if you think that’s best. What do you think of Mazuri?
4 hours daily is fine (but he should bask during this time - if stays away or hidden when the lamp is on, obviously it has no effect). If you feed him Mazuri then no other vitamin supplements is needed (maybe only occasionaly, something like Miner-All or Reptivite).