Boredom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meggers

5 Year Member
Um well my Russian has a 3 by 3 1/2 ft house indoor and when it gets cold won't he get bored and just sleep and do nothing all winter long. Just seems Boreding :/ is there any thing I can do? If not oh well. I just thought he'd be bored.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He needs a much bigger enclosure. He will get very bored and possibly stressed in that small of an enclosure. Also, there can't be much walking or digging room with a hide, water dish and food dish. Get at the very least a 2x6 or better a 4x6 enclosure and even bigger is always better. Make it high enough sides to give enough substrate where he can burrow in if he wants. Plant plants or even fake plants and some other decorations like logs or rocks.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Barb's right...your Steppe tortoise needs more room...if you haven't much floor space, consider a 2nd story and a ramp added to his indoor enclosure. There are some pretty clever designs in the Enclosures forum.

This one, built by Robert, for his Leopard tort, is pretty straight forward, but well-designed, and your Steppe will never outgrow it:

Enclosure_1.gif

Enclosure_2.gif

Enclosure_3.gif

Enclosure_4.gif

Of course, when it's summer, he needs to be outside, in as large an enclosure (at least 8' X 4") asw possible.

canadianturtsandtorts

5 Year Member
I have tortoise tables but they just take up too much space, but I didn't even think to go 2 storey although stackable has crossed my mind. Do they do well to go between 'floors' for drinking and eating and basking?

I realize you didn't build but curious what types are best suited

Meggers

5 Year Member
How big is each lvl in the two lvl house? Could I just a second lvl to my 3 by 3 1/2? If so how?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
canadianturtsandtorts said:
I have tortoise tables but they just take up too much space, but I didn't even think to go 2 storey although stackable has crossed my mind. Do they do well to go between 'floors' for drinking and eating and basking?

I'd think they'd learn pretty quickly...put food and water and basking on the top level, sleeping area, with bottom heat, on the lower level, perhaps. That's how I'm going to rebuild my 4's inside enclosure, anyway.

I realize you didn't build but curious what types are best suited

Well, that one is for a Leopard, but I'm thinking she'll outgrow that table someday...otoh, all sizes of Europeans (Greeks, Steppes, Hermann's, Marginateds) and other small tortoises and box turtles would likely do fine in one for the winter months...outside during the summer, though.

Meggers said:
How big is each lvl in the two lvl house? Could I just a second lvl to my 3 by 3 1/2? If so how?

Not sure of dimensions, looks like it might be just a little bigger than 3' X 3-1/2', but maybe Robert'll join in w/ details, or you might PM him.

And, yeah, adding a 2nd level is what I'd do, pretty much the way he did, in the picture.

Meggers

5 Year Member
Are u really sure I have to do this? I just made the 3 by 3 1/2. Will he be find for just this winter? Or is it something done now? You see I'm 13 I have to save up money then have help making it. Is it life or death for him?

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Meggers said:
Are u really sure I have to do this? I just made the 3 by 3 1/2. Will he be find for just this winter? Or is it something done now? You see I'm 13 I have to save up money then have help making it. Is it life or death for him?

Not talking life or death, but it'd be good to re-do when you can...13 is what? 8th grade? Take a woodshop class and make it a project...an easy "A" AND a nicer "crib" for your pet...win/win! :cool:

Yuttt

5 Year Member
You also might want to make it more interesting, like adding some small hills, or timothy hay to burrow in (if you haven't already).

Meggers

5 Year Member
Ok so more interesting. next summer making an outdoor house, so double decker will have to wait a while. I will Prevent boredom!!!!!!!! :)

HorsefieldFriend

5 Year Member
How old is your tort? That size indoor enclosure should be okay untill he is 4 or 5. Give him rocks he can climb over or a ball to push around - any of the toys you can get for small animals from stores are good - mine has the sticks you can get that can be bent into a little hill for him to climb, he also has a little straw tube to explore. Be creative - think of something he could climb over or explore in and make it - even a flower pot or a small cardboard box is better than nothing.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Do you feed him from the same dish or spot each day? Try hiding the food so he has to look for it. Hang his food every so often from the sides, so he has to not only find it, but reach up to get it. Do you cut up his food? Try leaving it whole so he has to tear and rip. If you feed something like mulberry leaves, leave them on the branch so he has to remove them himself.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if its winter and its cold and sleeping,, that is what they do.. its not boredom, its hibernating-brumating..
if you keep the lights on and he heat on,, it wont do that.. and will stay awake and eating, and acting like a normal tort.

Status
Not open for further replies.