Bored Tortoise!?

Sara Gleim

We adopted a sulcata from friends he is 10yr old and pretty hefty. Our yard isn't as big as Fred (the tort) and I would like. I think he is bored. I know they are a curious breed. He really like moving our large dog house and knocking over our large dove enclosure,both items are pretty hefty and some what difficult for me to move on my own. I've seen him get on his up on his hind legs and push the enclosure to the ground, letting our doves go. Is there anything I can give him to push around? I was thinking a medicine ball.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Sara welcome to the TFO from AZ . And have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I don't think I would label it is boredom, but some big rubber or Medecine ball(s), couldn't hurt. Just get tough ones, that can take a lot of abuse.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Sara, and welcome to the Forum!

He will settle into a routine once he realizes he has a new territory and is now home and safe. Anything you can put into his habitat to enrich his life will be good. Just make sure it is something safe that he can't get hurt on. Sulcatas are notorious for pushing over glass-topped patio furniture, walking around with the Weber grill on their backs, etc. Welcome to the wonderful world of sulcata tortoises!

1028762jld543t69m.gif

Last edited:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. May I ask you to post a picture of this "Lovely" Sulcata of yours? And the dog house he push away? Thanks.