Book research: Letting them back into the wild?

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ottawa, Ontario
Good time of the day, everyone!

I'm researching a children's book project. At the end of story, the child may have to return the tort into the wild. I've seen here that it may be undesirable after the tort had been looked after for some time in captivity, but what are the specific risks involved? The fictional tort is in its natural habitat.

As a disclosure: the project is my own, and my goal here is to address common misconceptions among Turkish people, such as that Mediterranean torts can live in cardboard boxes and eat meat and watermelon. The release into the wild part may be required to (1) discourage local kids from pulling torts out of their natural environment in the first place and (2) avoid possible legal issues - I'm not 100% sure about permissibility - or ethics - of keeping them as pets in Turkey.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can only speak about my own geographical area. Here in California it is illegal to put ANY species of tortoise out in our countryside.

As far a how would the animal fare being turned loose, depends upon how long he was in captivity. Because turtles and tortoises are territorial, once released, they try to find their way back to their previous territory. This sometimes means crossing busy streets and dodging vehicular traffic. Also, a long term captive that has been given food might have forgotten how to eat growing things. We see that all the time here on the Forum. Someone's new tortoise won't graze or eat plants - all they will eat is lettuce, etc. So a newly released tortoise might possibly starve.

This is a good thing you're doing. Education starts with the young. Good luck to you.

Last edited:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Another issue is if the animal has "bonded" with people and pets. A wild animal needs to know to avoid them, not run up expecting to be fed or buddies.

A tortoise improperly kept may carry more parasites and germs due to being couped up in tiny, unsanitary conditions. Thus a danger to themselves and other tortoises.