boogerish thing found on beak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Alexandria, VA
Okay so let me tell you the whole story first. I had to go somewhere for a really long time so I lefted my red foot at my friend's house. I showed him how to take care of him and what he needs. But I came back a few days ago and just got him back but while I was feeding him I saw this orange thing that looks like a booger on his beak! and then when I saw what was next I almost had a heart attack. There were like bubbles coming from his nose! and I remember if that happened then he could have a respiratory infection.

Ahhh please help me! I'm really scared and I don't know what to do. What should I do?! I also have a pictures of the boogerish thing. If it is that respiratory infection what could I do besides going to the vet?

Attachments

• booger.PNG
    booger.PNG
    126.6 KB · Views: 46

Tortoise

10 Year Member!
Canada
Perhaps you should go to the vets as soon as you can get to one-he may need antibiotics for a respiratory problem.
best to get him checked to be safe.keep him hydrated-warm soaks in the mean time.
Good Luck!!!

jbean7916

5 Year Member
Could it have been something in his enclosure that got on him while you were feeding?

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
jbean7916 said:
Could it have been something in his enclosure that got on him while you were feeding?

Yeah but the booger looked like a tomato like the insides and I haven't fed him tomato

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
jackrat said:
Is there any discharge now?

I don't know he's sleeping right now

hmm actually something seems weird and a little interesting...maybe he doesn't have respiratory infection but instead it might be something else with his nose because I've been noticing he's been sleeping outside he's little house a lot and he puts his face against the side of the cage (it's wood) and sometimes when he's in his little house he would put his face against that and his nose is always hitting it...I don't know...could tortoises get like that nose thingy I forgot what it's called but it's like how snakes would hit there nose against there tanks too much and it gets all um...I don't know the word but you probably know what I mean..it's like a bloody nose

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
If you have a good vet, I'd take him to get checked out. No sense waiting and worrying.

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
Redstrike said:
If you have a good vet, I'd take him to get checked out. No sense waiting and worrying.

That's the problem! I'm worrying because I don't know any vets! I have never been to one because my animals have never been that sick or even sick to see one. But I will if that's the only way.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Did you take a flashlight and look in his nostrils? Did you look in his mouth? Perhaps something stuck in his nose......is he acting normal other than the orange things (kinda looks like dried up food?)......:D

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
i think you should go over with your friend what his routine was and what was recently fed. How warm was he kept? did he get a chill..
it looks food like...
is he eating ok? drinking? warm enough?

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
Not to make light of the situation,but that's the first time I've ever seen the word "boogerish". I would just keep an eye on his behavior. If he's eating,drinking and carrying on as usual with no outward symptoms,he's probably fine.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
jackrat said:
Not to make light of the situation,but that's the first time I've ever seen the word "boogerish". I would just keep an eye on his behavior. If he's eating,drinking and carrying on as usual with no outward symptoms,he's probably fine.

yup agree.....
Also dont know how long you were gone, but it also looks like "extra growth tissue" that formed and dried up. Either case you should be fine~

JD~:)

Angrycowgoesmoo

5 Year Member
Alexandria, VA
Well he's been doing something I never seen him do. He's been sleeping like outside his little cave he would always sleep next to it after he finishes eating then he would go back inside when he wakes up and he has been normal besides that and he's always eating and drinking as usual. For the booger thing it looks like the inside of a tomato with the seeds there but it's orange...and when I saw it it was like across his face and what made me curious was how it even went out his nostral cause I have a baby red foot and he's nostral is super small like the size of this o <--- but maybe smaller or bigger but around that size. But another thing! that booger was a little sticky too and the booger thing was translucent. He's still active tho he walks around everyday and sleeps in a new position everyday.

N2TORTS said:
jackrat said:

yup agree.....
Also dont know how long you were gone, but it also looks like "extra growth tissue" that formed and dried up. Either case you should be fine~

JD~:)

When I heard you said "Either case you should be fine" it felt like weights have been lifted off my shoulders! I was also gone for like 3-4 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.