Blonde leopards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
I didn't know if I should post here, or in the leopards section. It's not really about care-just curiosity. What makes a blonde leopard tortoise blonde? I seem to have one (he/she) is 3.75 inches SCL and has minimal black in the center of each carapace scute. I originally heard only high temps/humidity can make them blonde. But I have 10% humidity, no humid hide, and the basking area is 92 degrees. Temps throughout range from 83 on the warm end to 65 on the extreme cool end (large enclosure). He's never had any health problems, just seems to be a blonde. Could it be hereditary? He was hatched from two "normal" parents.

Sara

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It depends on how "blonde" your Leopard tortoise is Sara, but that basking temperature will get you a lighter Leopard tortoise. There isn't much hereditary involved in the amount of light and dark color on a Leopard.

Danny

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
There is just as much heredity involved with pattern as there is in hair color. I've seen almost white Leopards out of the wild... yes it can be a behavioral thing but color has to have a genetic influence.

Although... I will admit... that most 'blonde' leopardstortoises are environmentally produced.

egyptiandan said:
It depends on how "blonde" your Leopard tortoise is Sara, but that basking temperature will get you a lighter Leopard tortoise. There isn't much hereditary involved in the amount of light and dark color on a Leopard.

Danny

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
Ok, so I finally had time to get updated pictures of both of them. I know My older one Tank, has pyramiding. When I first got him I did a lot of things wrong (diet and lighting to be specific), but since then he's had nice even growth. I added both of their pictures so you guys can tell me what you think. Dozer was purchased in April of 2008 as a normal leopard tortoise. I added a picture of when he/she first came to me. Since then I have begun to wonder if he/she is a blonde. Also, I know that Dozer is too small to sex (almost 4 inches) but if someone would like to guess go ahead :D I have yet to see any "surprises" during bath time. And also, Dozer is supposed to be Pardalis bacocki is this true?

035.jpg

April 2008

052-3.jpg

050-4.jpg

055-3.jpg

Present

Tank is definately a male and he loves to let you know it too :rolleyes: As I said above, his diet and habitat were not suited for him for the first almost two years, but we have since then been trying to correct it. I believe Tank is a cross between the two subspecies, although I can't be certain. I don't remember how many dots on which scutes any longer. I aquired him in March of 2005 as a hatchling.

056-2.jpg

058-2.jpg

057-2.jpg

Thanks alot,
Sara

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Dozer looks like a young male to me Sara and they are both S.p.babcocki

Danny

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
:( Male? I don't want two males...can't he go through gender therapy? I'm kidding, of course. That just means that eventually they will have to be seperated for good and I will have to look for a female. Do you agree though that Dozer is a blonde? Or better yet instead of seperating maybe I'll have two males that actually get along. I know it's unlikely, but I'm going to continue to be optimistic :D

Sara

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
i wouldnt say full on blonde, but lighter. I've seen some really white leopards before, both are great looking though.

Males can live together without problem, if you have a big enough enclosure they would not really mess with each other, except sometimes when its breeding time. But some males are just aggressive, so just have to see what type they are.

longbeachskunk

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Long Beach Ca.
Males can get along together if they are raised together. I have two male 9 year old DT's and they have been together since they were eggs. They sleep together, eat together and go their own separate ways around the yard when they want some space... but they always go back into their enclosure together to sleep.

Macheteslaststep

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
NJ
Well, Dozer and Tank have always "tolerated" eachother. I'm sure if push came to shove neither would miss the other too greatly though. Maybe I can talk the soon to be hubby into a female for my birthday ;) Does anyone know a breeder that temp sexes? I know that it's still not 100%, but I think I'll have a better chance than randomly picking a hatchling again. Or are extra scutes an indication since they happen at higher temps?

Sara

Status
Not open for further replies.