Is my tort okay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

demo183

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
I have a Russian tort whom I've had for almost a week now. It stays in a good size enclosure in my room. My room usually has an A/C on at 65-70 but I have heat lights for the enclosure. The enclosure temps range from 95-100 (basking area) to 70 at the other end. (Temps are in Fahrenheit) The humidity is usually somewhere between 45-65. Now with all that said, my tort eats plenty she loves her food, but she doesn't seem very active like most people say Russian Tortoises are? If you need more info just ask. Thanks!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Do you provide artificial UV ray light? Or better yet, do you give outdoor natural sunlight time? Is your russian well hydrated? :D

demo183

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I keep a waterdish in the enclosure, and soak him almost everyday since i got him. Also I do have a UVB light

coreyc

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
demo183 said:
I keep a waterdish in the enclosure, and soak him almost everyday since i got him. Also I do have a UVB light

What kind of bulb do you have ?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would think the A/C is still affecting her, even though the temps are high she may be receiving a draft or something you can't feel.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Actually, I think Russians do need a cooler side, unlike Redfoots. (Unless yours is a hatchling). If she is a juvenile or an adult, 95F is great for the basking side, but 70 should be OK for the cooler side. It can go down even cooler at night, as long as they can burrow. That fluctuation in temperature seems to be necessary for them. Make sure you have an accurate thermometer, digital or a temp gun. The round pet shop thermostats are not very accurate. Sounds like your set up is fine,as long as the temps are right. If her table is right next to a duct outlet, there may be a draft, so check that out.
I have 2 adult females, and even though they ate when in the tort table inside, they were not as active. They seem to have phases when they are less active, then phases when activity increases, for no apparent reason, sort of seasonal, but not always.
Being outside is definitely the best especially for Russians, they do seem to thrive there, so if you have that option at some point, even for a few hours per day in a secure enclosure, you may see a difference.
As long as yours is eating even every other day, and has clear eyes and nose, she is very likely fine. Is yours a hatchling? Soaking daily may be a good idea. If she is an adult, you probably only need to soak 2-3x per week.

demo183

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
id say shes probably a juvenile i bought her at petsmart (I know its not recommended to buy torts from petstores) but I felt she would be better off with me

Status
Not open for further replies.