Blog Regarding Possible ESA Listing of the Pyxis Genus

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
http://theturtleroom.com/blog/2014/07/23/amazing-spider-ban/

I wrote this opinion piece regarding the current situation facing my favorite genus in the world and we released it today. I am wondering if anyone wouldn't mind checking it out and giving me their opinion of my work and this situation. Obviously, some of the best Pyxis minds gather here often, so, no better place to chat about this stuff.

Regards,

Anthony

Turtlepete

South Florida
"and lifelong optimist", was my favorite part, haha! I think you have a great take on the whole situation.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Very good. I would like to see a more profound project of actual release into the wild. Durrell seems to be highly focused on yniphora, as well with Pyxis. But more efforts should be allocated with the funds from USFW and other international ISIS programs working with this species to actually set fourth a land purchase within native range and focus on a grass roots program. To me it's unfortunate that most captive breeding programs stop at that. They end up in collections and other keepers hands. Yes it is very difficult to reintroduce captive offspring to the wild. But it is possible with proper measures taken.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
"and lifelong optimist", was my favorite part, haha! I think you have a great take on the whole situation.
I really am a hopeless optimist. Always have been.

Very good. I would like to see a more profound project of actual release into the wild. Durrell seems to be highly focused on yniphora, as well with Pyxis. But more efforts should be allocated with the funds from USFW and other international ISIS programs working with this species to actually set fourth a land purchase within native range and focus on a grass roots program. To me it's unfortunate that most captive breeding programs stop at that. They end up in collections and other keepers hands. Yes it is very difficult to reintroduce captive offspring to the wild. But it is possible with proper measures taken.

I totally agree, and now you have me wishing that I included that. I have another blog written, but not published yet, that highlights some attainable yet overlooked endangered species and the article touches on that very topic, Kelly. I think the re-releasing of Cuora trifiasciata and Mauremys annamensis are a huge bit of hope for the future. But then again, I am a hopeless, lifelong optimist.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I really am a hopeless optimist. Always have been.

I totally agree, and now you have me wishing that I included that. I have another blog written, but not published yet, that highlights some attainable yet overlooked endangered species and the article touches on that very topic, Kelly. I think the re-releasing of Cuora trifiasciata and Mauremys annamensis are a huge bit of hope for the future. But then again, I am a hopeless, lifelong optimist.
Optimism is only a respectful outlook. Dedication succeeds the optimistic outlook of completion. I use to be an optimist. But I changed that, and began becoming a positive goal achiever. More people can achieve through optimism but optimism sustains a belief and in hopeful will become an accomplishment.

Anyways blah blah on my philosophical BS. I too would like to see some grass root work, heavy grass root work bearing the same weight as captive work. Probably won't happen. But hopefully I will have a donor or sponsor be able to fund projects like this all over the world.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Anthony,

I have only been keeping spider torts for about 1 1/2 years, but here are my two cents:

Needing a CBW will be frustrating, because I plan on looking for one or two individuals to establish a breeding group (I think I ended up with all females). It won't deter me at this point, but I may have chosen a different species had ESA listing been in place before I started. So, I sympathize with Russ's perspective.

Also, I haven't seen evidence that radiated tortoises are mistreated any less than expensive non-ESA species.

Steve