bladder stoned

Status
Not open for further replies.

HtVic

5 Year Member
Hi
what are the best ways to prevent desert tortoise getting bladder stoned?
i know one way is to soak them every day, provide fresh water daily. and do not over-do calcium.....what else?
:D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
You have outlined the best method....also you can offer food supplements to them grazing....items high in water content can be given such as romaine, red leaf lettuce and squash ....but keep in mind I only suggest these in addition to their regular grazing....not in place of :D

Also, regular water intake mixed with regular exercise...exercise is movement and movement, well keeps the pipes flowing...also do not make spinach and kale as a large portion of their daily diet....variety is key....foods high in oxalates should be offered as part of a balanced diet....:D

I personally will also bump their moisture and tantalize their taste buds with set juicy yummy watermelon but only about two or three times during peak summer months as this floods them with water and watermelon seems to aid in poo and pee production and while it does contain sugar I offer in the peak hot months as it goes along with their increased water intake....also the CDTs here love sprinkler time during hot days....

When the CDTs here come out of brumation they will pass urates when they urinate and this goes on for a couple to a few weeks and then their urine becomes a more clear and urate free function...and this is what I personally like to see...so by the time the season begins to cool going into winter brumation time I feel better that they are going into their rest with clean pipes....:D

HtVic

5 Year Member
thanks great info
may I know your tortoise food menu in a week? :D:D
what kind of food that contains oxalates?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
This time of year...the start if cool turning warm (trying anyways)...the CDTs here are most interested in sun and sun and then water with a bit of grazing in their yards...this is the time of year where I try to offer organic herbs and a touch of organic spring mix, but they are only mildly interested....in their yards they graze in the native bunch grass, black medic, coyote mint, filaree (aka; herrons bill) some of the autumn sage growing in and they would rather be out of their yards walking the property...they seem to appreciate a walk so they can browse and get a bite here and there...so I will take one or two of them out of their yard and set them down around my front porch (which is heavily planted with black medic...hollyhock...native grass...apricot mallow...filaree .....the hollyhocks are leaves right now...when all starts blooming then they will get Pansie leaves and flowers...roses....and if the dandelions feel fit to grace us this year they will have those too....

Then during the warm er times their appetites kick in to over drive...so I will do supplemental food offerings as I said...I have spread a variety of seeds of Mojave plants and flowers earlier in the year...so kinda curious what will come of the ones that the birds didn't get...:D

HtVic

5 Year Member
according to your description, I actually have this image in my mind .....ha
very nice

Status
Not open for further replies.