Bladder stone/impaction?

Justincl

Location (City and/or State)
Jakarta
So while giving my baby sulcata his/her evening soak and i started to realize that at one moment i saw the lil guy hold still in one position in the soak (warm water with uva) as if he/she was trying to push something out and at the end around 15 seconds later his/her head instantly goes into the shell and nothing still comes out of the cloaca. Most indonesian sellers and breeders here say feed papaya to try to make sure that if the sulcata has a bladder stone it will come out?? I have been treating the lil guy for 5 days previously with a solution that most sellers and owners use to fix their sulcata's gl track and i have had experiemce with this solution as a few months ago while i was treating the lil guy with the same solution, in his/her morning soak the urates finally came out with a bit of crystal and mostly pasty. Pls reply as i might schedule an x ray to the vet tomorrow as the exotic pet vet only opens on fridays. The image below was the result a few months ago after using the solution

Attachments

• 20201007_094154.jpg
    20201007_094154.jpg
    532.2 KB · Views: 39

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I am not understanding your question. You have a baby Sulcata expelling visible urates. That's relatively unusual for such a young tortoise. I have personal experience with that particular experience. I would recommend once daily warm water soaks for 30 minutes. Most tortoises drink immediately when you put them in the water, if I see that, then I take them out. Your baby needs a humid hide, read this care sheet, it's very important that you read it and change your baby's care

Justincl

Jakarta
I am not understanding your question. You have a baby Sulcata expelling visible urates. That's relatively unusual for such a young tortoise. I have personal experience with that particular experience. I would recommend once daily warm water soaks for 30 minutes. Most tortoises drink immediately when you put them in the water, if I see that, then I take them out. Your baby needs a humid hide, read this care sheet, it's very important that you read it and change your baby's care

I expected the urates as i fed some repcal a long time ago the picture posted was the urates a few months ago but recently i havent seen any urates come out and i am worried about impaction/bladder stone as while soaking eith warm water for 40 minutes in the evening (i soak twice a day) the lil guy stood still for a while as if he/she was trying to push something out but couldnt and i have seen the lil guy urinate and poop regularly but no urates. And idk abt mine but he/she doesnt drink while soaking its either staying still in one spot or constantly moving and trying to escape and i do in fact have a humid hiding pot

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I expected the urates as i fed some repcal a long time ago the picture posted was the urates a few months ago but recently i havent seen any urates come out and i am worried about impaction/bladder stone as while soaking eith warm water for 40 minutes in the evening (i soak twice a day) the lil guy stood still for a while as if he/she was trying to push something out but couldnt and i have seen the lil guy urinate and poop regularly but no urates. And idk abt mine but he/she doesnt drink while soaking its either staying still in one spot or constantly moving and trying to escape and i do in fact have a humid hiding pot
I'm sorry, but a bladder stone is something that takes a long time to make, and I just can't imagine a tort that young would have one.
Here is a picture of the bladder stone that killed my 17 yr old Sulcata. Why do you think she has a bladder stone so young? She's probably urinating clear fluid that you can't see.
I believe she is too young for a stone. We'll see what the experts have to say.
100_5793.JPG
Bob was 17 years old and over 100 lbs, and I thought well hydrated.
100_5791.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: ISU

Justincl

Jakarta
I'm sorry, but a bladder stone is something that takes a long time to make, and I just can't imagine a tort that young would have one.
Here is a picture of the bladder stone that killed my 17 yr old Sulcata. Why do you think she has a bladder stone so young? She's probably urinating clear fluid that you can't see.
I believe she is too young for a stone. We'll see what the experts have to say.
View attachment 311411
Bob was 17 years old and over 100 lbs, and I thought well hydrated.
View attachment 311412
Sorry abt bob :( but the main reason im worried is because the seller started the baby dry and believe me its hard to find sellers and breeders that actually do detailed research and stuff here and most of the sellers here and the owners say that pyramidding looked "cool" which i highly disagree. Although i am also rather thinking that it might be impaction as i saw a bit of coco husk vines inside his/her mouth so i suspected that he/she might have eaten a bit by accident

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Sorry abt bob :( but the main reason im worried is because the seller started the baby dry and believe me its hard to find sellers and breeders that actually do detailed research and stuff here and most of the sellers here and the owners say that pyramidding looked "cool" which i highly disagree. Although i am also rather thinking that it might be impaction as i saw a bit of coco husk vines inside his/her mouth so i suspected that he/she might have eaten a bit by accident
I agree, it does sound not good. But I would keep soaking daily ( I'd still probably just soak once a day). make sure your temperatures are correct, your humidity should be abt 80%, she needs to be eating a good varied diet leaving out fruit, make sure she has a big enuf habitat to get enuf exercise. I'm thinking now, that I do understand why you are worried. But let's wait for lazy dazy experts who are still in bed here...
This is what pyramiding looks like, or when pyramiding is accompanied by MBD metabolic bone disease and those tortoises sink down in the middle as if the carapace and plastron are soft and in a big U sagging body. This is Mary Knobbins...she's 3 to 5 years old and weighs 20 lbs
100_5411.JPG
I think she's cute, but when I see those pyramids I think unhealthy, deformed and abused
she certainly doesn't know that there is anything wrong with her
100_4543.JPG

Justincl

Jakarta
I agree, it does sound not good. But I would keep soaking daily ( I'd still probably just soak once a day). make sure your temperatures are correct, your humidity should be abt 80%, she needs to be eating a good varied diet leaving out fruit, make sure she has a big enuf habitat to get enuf exercise. I'm thinking now, that I do understand why you are worried. But let's wait for lazy dazy experts who are still in bed here...

This is what pyramiding looks like, or when pyramiding is accompanied by MBD metabolic bone disease and those tortoises sink down in the middle as if the carapace and plastron are soft and in a big U sagging body. This is Mary Knobbins...she's 3 to 5 years old and weighs 20 lbs
View attachment 311413
I think she's cute, but when I see those pyramids I think unhealthy, deformed and abused
she certainly doesn't know that there is anything wrong with her
View attachment 311414
I feel that my cousin has a indian star tortoise and 2 of em have pyramidding and as for the diet i feed my baby i feed a mix of hibiscus flowers and leaves, wheatgrass, occasionally repcal(tho he/she is still not really eating it yet) bc for vitamins in the repcal, caisim and kailan (mustard greens i think) idk just try typing in google, fumak (idk whats this in english though), some romainne lettuce a bit for hydration, and finally mulberry leaves.

I try to keep plant protein at a minimum although i have seen a few threads saying some plant protein is good for them is that true?

Also im worried of impaction as the seller didnt use substrate for the babies so my baby isnt used to it yet but i do spot clean poop and i am planning on changing 2/3 of the substrate every 2 months

Justincl

Jakarta
Bad news my baby has a bladder stone thats kind of big and it couldn't be removed so im getting some medication to help loosen the stone... The vet suspected that the baby was started off dry which i agree since the seller didnt conteol humidity....