Black yellowfoots!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Picked this pair up last weekend to add to my group. The male (frank the tank)is the one with his head out. The female (Shelly) is the one going "please stop breeding with me". Cool thing is after driving 5 hours home with them after getting them. She laid 2 eggs 10 minutes after I put her in the enclosure.

How cool is that?
And look how black the male is. He's super dark.

View attachment 22133

Benjamin

5 Year Member
zone 7b
I do like those denticulata, was my first "large" tortoise species I kept. That was 19 years ago.

I too have a "Shelly", he is an adult male I.forstenii.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yeah I like the yellowfoots. Hard to find big ones anymore. Usually don't do well unless lots of room, shade and mega humidity. Same keepings to me as any Asian species. Greenhouses are always a plus for needing micro climates.

My first biggen was a sulcata 12 years ago. Damn I was only 14 time flies. I supposed I will have a major accomplishment by 30 to have an establish tort zoo.

starfield

5 Year Member
Wow they are something special.... Adds those tithe list of babies to alert the Pennsylvania tortoise but? Hehe

EricIvins

5 Year Member
No one brings in big Yellowfoots anymore because freight costs more than the animal is worth........A big Yellowfoot can easily have $50 in freight cost alone, and that doesn't work out for an animal that retails for around $100........

They are out there though.......

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I don't care how much they cost. Im gonna buy them. They get smaller and smaller year after year. And one day poof won't be around.

DerekS

5 Year Member
Akron, OH
I would love to see some pics of your Yellowfoot enclosures! What gorgeous animals.

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I should have invited you over on your trek down to San Antonio...Was an after thought V8 moment. You are so lucky with your YF's. Can't wait to see what hatches. I will take better pictures of my big girl and share with you this weekend in Belton. She is right at 12 inches and was around 12 lbs when I first got her last November.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Funny a yellowfoot was my first "big" tortoise too. One of my favorite tortoises of all time. For years I thought Bonnie was a she, never had reason to doubt the seller. That all changed the day I was given my first ever tortoise flashing... :D :D

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
DixieParadise said:
I should have invited you over on your trek down to San Antonio...Was an after thought V8 moment. You are so lucky with your YF's. Can't wait to see what hatches. I will take better pictures of my big girl and share with you this weekend in Belton. She is right at 12 inches and was around 12 lbs when I first got her last November.

I was thinking about that when I headed down there. I haven't measured the male or female I got. I'd say they are 12-13" the female definitely has more eggs in her she's been digging and is about 2 pounds heavier than the male.

I love yellowfoots, they adapt slowly and are shy but very subtle and gentle giants. Well except my little male Peruvian yellowfoot. He just found his manhood a few months ago and won't stop leaving the little female alone. He's in solitary confinment. :)

Jacqui said:
:D Funny a yellowfoot was my first "big" tortoise too. One of my favorite tortoises of all time. For years I thought Bonnie was a she, never had reason to doubt the seller. That all changed the day I was given my first ever tortoise flashing... :D :D

Same here on the male aspect. They are very hard to sex, until the show you. Or are mammoths. :)

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
tortadise said:
Same here on the male aspect. They are very hard to sex, until the show you. Or are mammoths. :)

The lady I got her from had sold the male (and for less since it was a male) and I have always wondered if the other buyer knew they were actually getting a female or if they had both been males. The other buyer was suppose to have had several yellowfoots and needed a male.

Status
Not open for further replies.