Black poop

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hi!

For the first time, my hingeback pooped black. I haven't gone off on his main diet. He loves mushrooms, red & green leaf lettuce, and radicchio. I'm concerned with the color. Is it because he's getting too much. I do give him a good amount. Perhaps it may have been more than usual.

Any input would be great.

Thank you.

Lisa

Attachments

• 20230922_154400.jpg
    20230922_154400.jpg
    888.9 KB · Views: 2

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Maybe he found something to eat on your floor?

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
Hi!

For the first time, my hingeback pooped black. I haven't gone off on his main diet. He loves mushrooms, red & green leaf lettuce, and radicchio. I'm concerned with the color. Is it because he's getting too much. I do give him a good amount. Perhaps it may have been more than usual.

Any input would be great.

Thank you.

Lisa
Hi Lisa - Do you have a photo of the poop? How long have you had this tortoise? Thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He should not be on the floor, but in his own proper sized enclosure. Also uvb does not go thru glass or screen.
A bigger variety needs to be added to his diet
What Tammy said is one reason he should not be on the floor. The others, it's too cold and so many get hurt.

Michigan
Hi Lisa - Do you have a photo of the poop? How long have you had this tortoise? Thanks!
Hi! I did but that was a few days ago. It seems it's gotten better since I scaled back on the radicchio. I wondered if that may have been too much. I have had him a few years and was told he was 22 when I got him.

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
Hi! I did but that was a few days ago. It seems it's gotten better since I scaled back on the radicchio. I wondered if that may have been too much. I have had him a few years and was told he was 22 when I got him.
Got it Melissa - It's definitely good to keep an eye on your tortoises poop! Also, just by looking at it, I think you may have a female - could you share photos of its tail? The tortoise you have is VERY special - they are quite rare today!