Biting during courtship - is it a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukphd

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello (yet again!)
Sorry to be asking so many questions at the moment!

Before I introduce my pair to each other again I just wanted to check how much of a problem biting during courtship is? Obviously it's part of the ritual but at what point is it time for me to step in and separate them. The last time I put the two together (and bear in mind I thought they were both boys back then!) the big guy kept trying to bite her face. Previously when they had been together he'd only tried to bite her legs/rear.

What should I allow? If the female (or male in fact) does get bitten what should I do? If it was a big bite I would of course go to the vet but if it's just a small one is that necessary? Do they heal easily or is it like other reptile bites and they need to go straight to a vet? Are there any products I can use to clean a bite wound that won't harm them?

Sorry again for all the questions but thanks for your patience and help!
Nancy :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Just keep an eye on them Nancy. :D He shouldn't bite for to long and should get to ramming her shell and than mounting.
If he draws blood on her head or if he won't stop biting her legs than it's time to seperate and try again later.
Provodine iodine you get at a chemist will clean any cut she might get. Make sure to dilute it 10/1, water to iodine.

Danny

ukphd

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
Just keep an eye on them Nancy. :D He shouldn't bite for to long and should get to ramming her shell and than mounting.
If he draws blood on her head or if he won't stop biting her legs than it's time to seperate and try again later.
Provodine iodine you get at a chemist will clean any cut she might get. Make sure to dilute it 10/1, water to iodine.

Danny

Great, thanks :) I already have "betadine" (which is provodine iodine) that I use on my own cuts etc - I do research in a rainforest so have to apply it all the time! So I will make sure I keep some on hand (diluted) when I do the introduction. Thanks again for all your advice - much appreciated :D

Status
Not open for further replies.