Birmingham Zoo (AL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Fun!

Mixed feelings. The smaller tortoises got the shaft, small enclosures and if they were "desert" tortoises, they had no water and just sand. I tried telling the workers there, but there were only teenage volunteers who were there clearly for required volunteer hours instead of for the animals. I didn't get very far. :( Maybe an email to the zoo?
A couple of the Egyptian torts had some pyramiding, but most of the torts looked ok. Active. Some of the smaller species were being housed with a lizard or two, which I wasn't too happy about.
Two torts live with a peacock in an outdoor pen. The peacock showed off its feathers to anyone who walked by. As for the torts, the male was focused entirely on the female, if you know what I mean!

The Aldabras however (they have 4! living with 2 marginateds, I think) had plenty of room, water, are being fed a proper diet, and they look healthy. I was really, really happy with their setup. The zookeepers know about aggression between torts and have separated them from the ones they didn't get along with. They have warm room for them when the temp drops too much. The tortoises were very comfortable with the zookeepers, eating out of their hands and enjoying some petting. I'll have a couple pics of the torts hopefully by tomorrow - my sister has them and has to email them :p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Looking forward to seeing your pictures.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I hate it when a Zoo can't get it right. I always thought they should be the book of knowledge to learn from. Disappointing on how many aren't doing things right.

Talka

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Pics :D

The hingebacks' enclosure was a bit small, but otherwise properly set up. One of them posed for pictures for several minutes.
I was told the aldabra is 7 years old and about 200 pounds. They've had them ever since they were small enough to pick up!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
What a great picture the first one is!!!!! Third one is awesome, too.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I haven't been to the Birmingham zoo in like...forever. I keep trying to find a way to justify driving 3.5 hours to go to one of the monthly Dixie Reptile Shows and maybe hit the zoo all in one weekend, but it hasn't happened yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.