Bird Seed Block Located in Tortoise Yard?

Dovey

Location (City and/or State)
New River, AZ
I am thinking of moving my Sonora desert tortoise yard from the West side to the East Side of the house. There is better shade and lots of natural boundaries that will help with fencing, but it is also a wild animal feeding station. There is a permanent location for quail block that sits just outside the kitchen window. Is there any reason to think my Sonora Desert tortoise would be attracted to that quail block or chew on it? Could the larger presence of our 3 varieties of ground squirrel or the cottontails prove a threat? They occasionally visit her current yard, but would be present in higher numbers around the bird block.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Can you fix up the West side to be better for him rather than moving him into a possible unsafe situation? Provide more shade etc?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am thinking of moving my Sonora desert tortoise yard from the West side to the East Side of the house. There is better shade and lots of natural boundaries that will help with fencing, but it is also a wild animal feeding station. There is a permanent location for quail block that sits just outside the kitchen window. Is there any reason to think my Sonora Desert tortoise would be attracted to that quail block or chew on it? Could the larger presence of our 3 varieties of ground squirrel or the cottontails prove a threat? They occasionally visit her current yard, but would be present in higher numbers around the bird block.
I wouldn't want all those other wild animals around my tortoise. You can't help having at least some contamination for any outdoor tortoise enclosure, but inviting significantly more fecal contamination by feeding the wild life is not a good idea.

Your tortoise will likely eat the rabbit droppings. Ground squirrels will literally eat smaller tortoises like a Big Mac, but generally do not mess with larger tortoises, although they certainly could. Birds may see the tortoise as a competitor or a threat, and that could be a problem.

Can you move the bird block? Add on to the existing enclosure and wrap it around the house?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I agree keep them seperate or risk having sick tortoise.