bird seed

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
I sprinkled some finch seed about five days ago in the baby pool, and I think I saw a sprout yesterday but Carl saw it not long after so it was gone before I knew if I saw it correctly or not :)

Today, after it rained a bit last night, there are hundreds of little sprouts, and I bet Carl is going to have a hayday out there. I only gave him half his normal breakfast :p

Thanks, once again, to everyone on the forum who suggested bird seed. I think it is going to be a real hit.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think you could have given him his entire meal and he would still be going out and destroying the new seedlings. :D

poison

5 Year Member
futureleopardtortoise said:
I sprinkled some finch seed about five days ago in the baby pool, and I think I saw a sprout yesterday but Carl saw it not long after so it was gone before I knew if I saw it correctly or not :)

Today, after it rained a bit last night, there are hundreds of little sprouts, and I bet Carl is going to have a hayday out there. I only gave him half his normal breakfast :p

Thanks, once again, to everyone on the forum who suggested bird seed. I think it is going to be a real hit.

does this really work?

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
poison said:
does this really work?

Oh yeah. I just went out to check. Carl looked like he just found the jackpot when he wandered into a big clump of seedlings. He was sniffing every one very carefully, before uprooting it and demolishing it. :)

poison

5 Year Member
so let me get this right. you just whent out and got bird food ans planted it and it grow grass?

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
To clarify, you planted finch seed intended for pet finches, with an ingredient list like this:

Red Siberian Millet, White Foxtail Bristlegrass, Seeds from the Echinochloa genus (including Billion Dollar Grass, Japanese Millet, and Barnyard Grass), Canary Seed, French White Millet, Oat Groats, Switchgrass, Fescue Grass, Golden German Millet, Red Broomcorn Millet.

Correct? Wild finch seed is more niger and thistle and is supposed to be heat treated to prevent germination.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
poison said:
so let me get this right. you just whent out and got bird food ans planted it and it grow grass?

basically, it's best to get a wild bird seed with lots of variety. It's not just grass though, it's all kinds of things. You don't even really need to plant it, you just sprinkle it around in the dirt, keep it moist, and it should start sprouting in a few days.

poison

5 Year Member
oh cool. and what do you mean by wild bird seed?

stenkamp

5 Year Member
Is that bird seed mix alright for the yellow foot tortoises?

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Edna said:
To clarify, you planted finch seed intended for pet finches, with an ingredient list like this:

Red Siberian Millet, White Foxtail Bristlegrass, Seeds from the Echinochloa genus (including Billion Dollar Grass, Japanese Millet, and Barnyard Grass), Canary Seed, French White Millet, Oat Groats, Switchgrass, Fescue Grass, Golden German Millet, Red Broomcorn Millet.

Correct? Wild finch seed is more niger and thistle and is supposed to be heat treated to prevent germination.

Nope, it was wild finch seed... and it germinated. Hmm, must be lucky. It contains millet, nyjer seed, sunflower hearts (?), and canary seed.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Yeah, I looked up the ingredients of that mix when you posted what it was and it looks like it's mostly grass type seeds, with several types of millet and the canary grass. The sunflower hearts will not sprout, and the niger is heat killed so those parts are wasted, but a good mix otherwise. Interesting: that seed blend is not well rated as feed for wild finches. They prefer less grass seed, more niger.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Edna said:
Yeah, I looked up the ingredients of that mix when you posted what it was and it looks like it's mostly grass type seeds, with several types of millet and the canary grass. The sunflower hearts will not sprout, and the niger is heat killed so those parts are wasted, but a good mix otherwise. Interesting: that seed blend is not well rated as feed for wild finches. They prefer less grass seed, more niger.

Oh well, I wasn't getting it for finches anyways, I guess :p

Status
Not open for further replies.