Big enough for 3 RTs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cadance

5 Year Member
I have finally decided on a size for my outdoor enclosure. It will be 13' long by 3' wide. Do you think that is big enough for 3 RTs? Also each end will have a 2 foot shade box/hide box and I will have it so they can be separated if needed. I will be planting all different kinds of stuff in that they can eat or just hide under. One other question what kind of dirt can I use? And they will have tops on it so my lab and other animals can't get to them. I can't wait to get it done!!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I am thinking that would be sufficient ...as always, the bigger the better :D. Look forward to pics when it is done...

Cadance

5 Year Member
ascott said:
I am thinking that would be sufficient ...as always, the bigger the better :D. Look forward to pics when it is done...

Thanks I hope it turns out good because this will be the first time I am going to build something lol.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds good to me. You will have a great time doing it and will probably be making changes a lot. Just because it is so fun adding and rearranging. Good luck and yes we want pics:D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
How fun...now keep in mind you are taking precautions for attacks from above...are you taking precautions so that your tort does not dig out---these guys are, in my opinion, better escape artists than CDTs...:D you have likely already got that planned out but felt compelled to say something as this is your first....:p

Cadance

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Sounds good to me. You will have a great time doing it and will probably be making changes a lot. Just because it is so fun adding and rearranging. Good luck and yes we want pics:D

Thanks I will post pictures when it is done. I am sure I will change things. Lot lol it took me like 2 months to finally figure out what size I wanted it lol :)

ascott said:
How fun...now keep in mind you are taking precautions for attacks from above...are you taking precautions so that your tort does not dig out---these guys are, in my opinion, better escape artists than CDTs...:D you have likely already got that planned out but felt compelled to say something as this is your first....:p

Thanks yes I think I am going to have it have a bottom with higher sides so I can plant things in it or I will dig down about 12" is what I have read and put panels down there. Would that work if I decide not to have a bottom?

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yes, as long as you either dig down 12", or have a raised bed high enough so you can back fill up to 12", you should be safe.
Either way works because you can cover the bottom easily with heavy duty plastic fencing, for example.
I think that will be big enough if your torts all get along fairly well.
Have you thought about an 'L' shape? Russians like to pace and walk, so with that there is always something around the corner, lol. Or, that can always be an expansion later on, if needed.
It is good you are thinking it through ahead of time!

Cadance

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
Yes, as long as you either dig down 12", or have a raised bed high enough so you can back fill up to 12", you should be safe.
Either way works because you can cover the bottom easily with heavy duty plastic fencing, for example.
I think that will be big enough if your torts all get along fairly well.
Have you thought about an 'L' shape? Russians like to pace and walk, so with that there is always something around the corner, lol. Or, that can always be an expansion later on, if needed.
It is good you are thinking it through ahead of time!

The 2 we have now get along great so far knock on wood. Right now because it is too cold they are in a 40 gallon Breeder tank (which the vet said would be fine for the winters and night times for them.) I am hoping that when we introduce our new little one that the other two will get along with him/her... I haven't thought about doing an L shape that is a good idea!! I will have to look into that!!

I am also hoping by the end of the summer to have a new indoor enclosure made 2-3 feet wide by I am thinking 4-5 feet long but first I need to get their outdoor one figured out and then done then I can worry about that lol..

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It sounds like a great plan. I also love the "L" shapes in an enclosure. I usually try to wrap around 3 sides of a structure. This way they always have shade or sun. And whenever I build any new enclosure I always stand back, look at it and think its too small. I always wish I had made it bigger.

I think your plan to have them sleeping in the 40 at night and hanging out outside all day is a great plan. For me, having them sleep inside just helps me to sleep better at night.

Don't forget to quarantine and run fecals on any new torties. Can't wait for pics!

Cadance

5 Year Member
Tom said:
It sounds like a great plan. I also love the "L" shapes in an enclosure. I usually try to wrap around 3 sides of a structure. This way they always have shade or sun. And whenever I build any new enclosure I always stand back, look at it and think its too small. I always wish I had made it bigger.

I think your plan to have them sleeping in the 40 at night and hanging out outside all day is a great plan. For me, having them sleep inside just helps me to sleep better at night.

Don't forget to quarantine and run fecals on any new torties. Can't wait for pics!

I have laid out where their enclosure will be and I can't decided if I want to go a little longer. I don't have the room to go wider but I could go a little longer I just have to figure that part out first then I will go and buy all the stuff and get to work lol.. Yeah I don't think I would sleep very well with them outside I don't sleep good with our lab out there (That is why she sleeps inside.) I am just really hoping that they all get along because right now they get along great I just hope adding another little one won't cause problems. Yeah (we will call out new little one a her that is what we are hoping she will be lol.) I will be taking her to the vet to get checked out the other two still need a fecal test done we haven't had them long they where in the same tank before we got them so they have always been together. But I will be taking them all in to get checked...

ascott said:
All sounds good...and yes, one thing at a time works better...:D

Yes it is I tend to do more then one thing at a time so I am trying not to start another project tell I get the first one done lol.. :)

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
You will never regret going bigger!

Especially with RT's you if you get another tort, you have to be prepared to separate them, however, just in case it does not go well.
Hopefully they will get along; close to the same size range is good.

Cadance

5 Year Member
lynnedit said:
You will never regret going bigger!

Especially with RT's you if you get another tort, you have to be prepared to separate them, however, just in case it does not go well.
Hopefully they will get along; close to the same size range is good.

Ok maybe I will go a little bigger then. We are getting a hatchling so I am going to be keeping her separate when I am not watching them to make sure the other two aren't picking on her. Our two that we have now are about 5-6 years old and about 4-4 1/2 inches big. And the one we are getting is 5 months old. So their will be a size difference in them.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Sounds good! Once they are fecal checked, and quarantined, you could make one end of the enclosure for the hatchling (4 feet long?) with the ability to block it off if there are 'issues'.

cmosuna

5 Year Member
Stanton, CA
That's almost the exact size of the pen I just built for the 3 Russians we took I and they seem to be doing great.

Cadance

5 Year Member
cmosuna said:
That's almost the exact size of the pen I just built for the 3 Russians we took I and they seem to be doing great.

This is great to hear!!! :)

lynnedit said:
Sounds good! Once they are fecal checked, and quarantined, you could make one end of the enclosure for the hatchling (4 feet long?) with the ability to block it off if there are 'issues'.

I was going to make a spot so I could do that if I can go to 16 then I was going to make 3 but I don't know if I have enough room to go to 16. I have to lay it all out again today.

Status
Not open for further replies.