Betty's New Place

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
After many months (almost a year) of trying to get this box done & it's finally ready! We got Betty moved in today :D She is already trying to see where the boundaries are! It's 2 ft wide by 4 ft long and 1 1/2 ft deep. It's lined with spray truck bed liner and has 2 hinged screen lids on the top. It's made from scrap wood that a friend had from various construction jobs. There are handles on either side for moving it and then extra braces on the bottom for support of her substrate. I have a 50/50 mix of topsoil and coconut coir for substrate, planted some russian tortoise grazing mix and then a hide at each end and a water dish on the cool side. There's cuttle bone for her enjoyment and some timothy hay for playing in. She doesn't really seem to chew on it but likes to dig in it. Finally some pics!! I'm planning to add some rocks around the water dish to help keep the dirt from tracking in too bad. I change it everyday but still want to help keep it clean.

Bettysnewbox004.jpg

Bettysnewbox003.jpg

Bettysnewbox010.jpg

jkingler

5 Year Member
Looks pretty awesome. :D What are the dimensions of it?

(The screen on top will block a decent chunk of the UVB from the bulb from getting to Betty - just something to keep in mind when/if you ever have a hard time getting her outdoors.)

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
It's 2ft wide by 4ft long and 1 1/2 feet deep. That's good to know about the screen lid, I had a wire lid similar to this one on her other enclosure that she was in since I got her, would that be better? What would you suggest? I just need a lid to keep the cat reminded that she's off limits. I do get her outside as much as possible according to our weather here in MO. If it's a nice, warm sunny day, she and I are outside soaking up some sun. I have an outdoor enclosure for her during the nice weather.

Beeliz

5 Year Member
Montreal,Quebec
zoogrl said:
It's 2ft wide by 4ft long and 1 1/2 feet deep. That's good to know about the screen lid, I had a wire lid similar to this one on her other enclosure that she was in since I got her, would that be better? What would you suggest? I just need a lid to keep the cat reminded that she's off limits. I do get her outside as much as possible according to our weather here in MO. If it's a nice, warm sunny day, she and I are outside soaking up some sun. I have an outdoor enclosure for her during the nice weather.

I wasn't aware that screens can prevent them getting the right amount of uvb rays? really? I have to have a screen over top my set up,I have no other way or resting the light fixture .. Now I'm worried that my baby hasn't been getting enough ...

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
A screen of some kind is often necessary.
How about 1 inch galvanized hardware cloth tacked onto the frame?
Keeps the cat out, but the holes are plenty big enough to let UV in.

Libby, have you seen the plant stands by Zoomed?
http://www.zoomed.com/db/products/EntryDetail.php?EntryID=83&DatabaseID=2&SearchID=20
If these won't work, you could get the galvanized screen and cut it 1-2" larger than the top of your enclosure and fold it over the edged.
Don't worry, it is UV exposure over the long run that is important, you can correct this.

Beeliz

5 Year Member
Montreal,Quebec
Actually,,even better,I can install a plant holder over the tank,on the wall..would do the same trick :)
thanks for this!

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Just cut a hole out under your light, but leave enought for the lamp dome to sit on. thats what i did when i had small screen. now on my new enclosure i used the screen with bigger holes. also watch that Hay in their it will mold if your soil is damp.

Beeliz

5 Year Member
Montreal,Quebec
Haha,,That's what I was just going to write !! I ended up cutting my screened top where the uvb light is,,very cool,,and I'm so glad I heard this!! love you guys!
:)

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I just cut a hole too. The cat will never know.

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
I'm working on a different lid, it will cover the middle but leave just enough room on either side for the heat & uv lamps. I've got a combo light on the one side but the cool side is only staying about 68-70 degrees so I'm going to add another heat lamp. I will get a different screen for the new lid that will have bigger holes. Thanks for the tip on the molding hay, I usually change it out every couple days because I worry about it getting moldy. I will post updated pics soon, her grass is growing so it's not quite so bare looking in there now!

Status
Not open for further replies.