Best way to move a redfoot via road trip for 2-3 days

mandzz

Hello everyone,
I'm hoping some of you can give me advice about "how to road trip redfoot style". Currently we live in southern California. Our two year old redfoot Chili, spends most days in her outdoor pen. Her indoor set up is really for cold winter days and sleeping. In about three weeks are moving to Washington. On this massive road trip we will have ten year old twins, two French mastiffs, and Chili. There is no way to transport her in her indoor enclosure, as it is way too large. The movers have told us that her substrate will be considered dirt by authorities so that can't travel either. I'm concerned about keeping her warm and comfortable over a period of 2 or 3 days while drive. We won't be able to keep the car too warm because the mastiffs cannot cool themselves. So.......ahhhhhhh! Thoughts? Ideas? I'd love as many suggestions/ideas you can come up with!
Thanks so much!

wolfkat

Depending on her size you could always overnight ship her to your new address but I guess that would only work if someone in CA could keep her until you guys got to Washington.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
New York
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434842381.417313.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1434842406.687088.jpg

This is a tote with the top cut out and replaced with plywood. The hole is for a ceramic heat emitter shown in the second picture. You can build these CHE setups from materials at home improvement stores for ~$15. Just use a ceramic ceiling socket.

If you plug the portable enclosure into a power inverter in the car, it might work? Then just bring it into your hotel room in the evening and give your tort a good long soak.

Not sure if the tortoise is too large for this to work but it's what I've done in the past.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I traveled 12 hrs with leopard tortoises when I moved from SoCal to Oregon. Shorter than your trip but maybe my tips will still help.

My tortoises were kept in Tupperware totes with lids. Not huge ones like in that last picture...ones just a bit bigger than the torts themselves. I used paper towels instead of substrate. Easier to toss when soiled.
I used the Hot Hands wrapped in towels in the totes with the tortoises and checked the temps with a laser gun frequently. **In hind sight, I'd have ordered reptile specific heat packs. Although I had no issues with the Hot Hands, they come with overheating risks so I can't really recommend them.

My goal wasn't to provide a mini enclosure with all the fixings for the journey. I didn't worry about lighting or food. I soaked them prior to the trip for hydration then boxed them up.
I think I might have fasted them the day before, too. I didn't want food in their guts with no heat to help them digest.

See what others say but if I was going to travel again, I'd do it in a similar fashion again.

Good luck :)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I traveled 12 hrs with leopard tortoises when I moved from SoCal to Oregon. Shorter than your trip but maybe my tips will still help.

My tortoises were kept in Tupperware totes with lids. Not huge ones like in that last picture...ones just a bit bigger than the torts themselves. I used paper towels instead of substrate. Easier to toss when soiled.
I used the Hot Hands wrapped in towels in the totes with the tortoises and checked the temps with a laser gun frequently. **In hind sight, I'd have ordered reptile specific heat packs. Although I had no issues with the Hot Hands, they come with overheating risks so I can't really recommend them.

My goal wasn't to provide a mini enclosure with all the fixings for the journey. I didn't worry about lighting or food. I soaked them prior to the trip for hydration then boxed them up.
I think I might have fasted them the day before, too. I didn't want food in their guts with no heat to help them digest.

See what others say but if I was going to travel again, I'd do it in a similar fashion again.

Good luck :)

This is also an excellent approach that may be simpler. I would be sure to provide some time to stretch, eat, and drink though since it's a multi-day trip.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Maybe just a stretch and drink... I'd still skip the feedings if you aren't going to heat it like redstrike did.

A few days without food is better than feeding him and not offering the right heat for aiding digestion IMO..
3 days may not be enough time for a problem to occur, I don't know. But it's what I'd do.

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
I don't know about your tortoise, but mine poops a ridiculous amount in the car, you wonder where they keep it all. I would suggest a sealed plastic baggy and a roll of paper towels. If you just leave it, then I'm sure it will stink up a small space in no time.