4-day road trip with a tortoise

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
I am moving from California to Florida. We will be taking a 4-day road trip to get there, and my 5-year old Russian tortoise will be coming with!
When I originally moved to California, I shipped Nelson overnight, hopped on a plane, and was there when he was delivered the following morning. Unfortunately that is not possible this time, since we are driving to Florida.
What is the best way to transport him in the car? We will obviously bring him in to hotels with us overnight. Our two dogs are making the trip with us too.
He currently lives outside in a large enclosure, so I can't imagine he will be thrilled about 4 days in a small container. :(
Thanks in advance!

surfergirl

I took my sully on a weeks vacation with me one time. I had an inverter 12v to 110 and I had his setup in the back seat a small tub with 80 degree temps just like I did in the house. at the hotel I setup his enclosure away from a/c vents and drafts, got his temps steady and for a week he was fine. I took the same food and water dishes so I am not sure he ever knew we were vacationing. :) he acted completely fine the whole time never had a problem soaking, eating, pooing, and he loved the fla sunshine.
if you do not have a powersource for him and need to raise the temps in his enclosure in the car you can use hand/foot warmers. my husband likes to run the a/c at 70 or less degrees.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
Thank you both for your responses! I just purchased some hand warmers and I will get him acclimated to his travel bin.