Best way to carry tortoise to yard

Status
Not open for further replies.

pliken

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mesa & Payson, Arizona
Hi everyone!

I adopted my daughter's two(?) year old sulcata a few months ago, and I have been carrying him in my hands back and forth from his indoor enclosure to the outside yard. I noticed that when I carry him facing out he struggles more, and when I carry him facing me he stretches out his head towards me and does a lot of head bobbing. Is this an agressive or social gesture in this context? Is he afraid? Should I be putting him in a box or something for this short distance?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Paula

paschallraschalls

5 Year Member
I don't have Sulcatas, but mine (Leo and Russians) always seem really stressed if I just carry them out by hand. I have been putting them in a bucket (large plastic dish pan with coconut fiber in the bottom) to carry them out and they seem much more relaxed. Hope you get some answers from the more experienced keepers :)

pliken

5 Year Member
Mesa & Payson, Arizona
paschallraschalls said:
I don't have Sulcatas, but mine (Leo and Russians) always seem really stressed if I just carry them out by hand. I have been putting them in a bucket (large plastic dish pan with coconut fiber in the bottom) to carry them out and they seem much more relaxed. Hope you get some answers from the more experienced keepers :)

Good suggestion - it sounds like yours never did get used to "flying" - I think I would need a deeper container, though. It's odd that my Lightning comes to me when I ask him if he wants to go for a walk, then gets all stressed out about the carrying part, if that's what it is. He likes to climb up and hang his front legs over the corner of his enclosure and look around, and that's over a drop, too.

pliken said:
paschallraschalls said:

Good suggestion - it sounds like yours never did get used to "flying" - I think I would need a deeper container, though. It's odd that my Lightning comes to me when I ask him if he wants to go for a walk, then gets all stressed out about the carrying part, if that's what it is. He likes to climb up and hang his front legs over the corner of his enclosure and look around, and that's over a drop, too.

Oops - sorry - I just realized how that sounded. Don't worry, there is another barrier (large dog kennel) between him and the drop.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I carry my Leo in & out every day. I use two hands and she always faces out so she can see where i am going. Sometimes when she feels unsure and starts looking like she is running in air, I move my hand up so she can hold it against her shell with her front leg and that seems to calm her. Good luck and let us know what works:)

Cfr200

10 Year Member!
Springfield, Mo
I carry my 1 year old girls in the same container I give them their soakings in. Which is a 12 qt dish washing thing I got at Walmart for 2 bucks, It works well and servers double duty. That is until they get to big to fit in it. They seem to like it better than being hand carried plus I feel much better carrying them this way. It also is deep enough so they cannot see out which seems to keep them calm.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I like the container idea. :) I just make sure to hold their front feet. They seem to freak out if I don't. :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I use a big wicker basket to carry mine out.

Missy82

5 Year Member
south wales
I just carry my russian but this is what hes used 2 and hes only a little thing! Nowhere near the siz :tort:of a sulcata :tort:;)

pliken

5 Year Member
Mesa & Payson, Arizona
Thanks for all the suggestions! Any tips as to what the head bobbing means in this context? What actions by a sulcata show that they are stressed?

dmmj said:
I use a big wicker basket to carry mine out.

I like that idea - he/she doesn't use the texture of the basket to climb out? Approx. how high are the sides? Lightning is a good climber - easily scales seven inches of near vertical smooth surface.

CtTortoiseMom said:
I carry my Leo in & out every day. I use two hands and she always faces out so she can see where i am going. Sometimes when she feels unsure and starts looking like she is running in air, I move my hand up so she can hold it against her shell with her front leg and that seems to calm her. Good luck and let us know what works:)

Another good suggestion! Thanks

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
well they are not i the basket very long just long enough for me to carry them, if I left them in there they could probably climb out. The head bobbing may just be stress from being carried, I don't think many tortoises like to be carried.

pliken

5 Year Member
Mesa & Payson, Arizona
dmmj said:
well they are not i the basket very long just long enough for me to carry them, if I left them in there they could probably climb out. The head bobbing may just be stress from being carried, I don't think many tortoises like to be carried.

I am going to try it - I have lots of baskets around. Thanks!

pliken

5 Year Member
Mesa & Payson, Arizona
arby2774 said:
When I had Max I used a laundry basket. He is heavy and it would have been impossible to support the plastron comfortably with bare hands.

Lightning is just under 1 lb - by the time he needs a laundry basket, I plan to have him outside all the time! :)

Robert said:
If using a container, I just recommend one that can be cleaned in case he/she relieves himself. Good luck.

Good point!

pliken

5 Year Member
Mesa & Payson, Arizona
I purchased a cheap two-handled basket for carrying Lightning, and he seems to like it better than the cardboard box I tried first. He tries to climb out, but stops when he can peek through the handle hole. The basket will be for his sole use, and I will just replace it when needed - it only cost $5. Lightning only pees in his water, so it should last for awhile. I'm keeping the laundry basket in mind for the future!

jensgotfaith

5 Year Member
Rocklin, CA
At first my Captain Jack- just about 3 pounds now- didn't like to be carried by hand unless I kind of spread my fingers and let him "stand" with one leg on a finger. I still do that with him now. My other hand I'll usually have up near his front legs so that he pins them against himself. He's not one who likes to be carried for a long length of time, but that definitely works going from inside outside.

pliken

5 Year Member
Mesa & Payson, Arizona
jensgotfaith said:
At first my Captain Jack- just about 3 pounds now- didn't like to be carried by hand unless I kind of spread my fingers and let him "stand" with one leg on a finger. I still do that with him now. My other hand I'll usually have up near his front legs so that he pins them against himself. He's not one who likes to be carried for a long length of time, but that definitely works going from inside outside.

That one didn't work for me - like an infant suddenly jumping out of your arms, Lightning will choose that moment to shove off. (Haven't dropped him or a baby yet) They're strong, aren't they? The basket idea is working, but I wonder if Lightning needs more handling/socializing?

Paula

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I carry my big female leopard out daily from the basement. Right forearm under, and holding rear of shell with left hand. She tries to disembowel me with her rear feet, and pinches my right arm with her forelegs. Lately, I have resorted to keeping my hand in front of her so she stays more or less closed up. She's almost 25 pounds, and a handfull.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I just pick my big sulcata up with two hands and it's normally for short distances. He is only 35 pounds so it's not so bad right now and he has gotten use to me doing it. The other two can still pretty much fit in one hand so I pretty much carry them one hand on top and one on the bottom for support...

pliken

5 Year Member
Mesa & Payson, Arizona
yagyujubei said:
I carry my big female leopard out daily from the basement. Right forearm under, and holding rear of shell with left hand. She tries to disembowel me with her rear feet, and pinches my right arm with her forelegs. Lately, I have resorted to keeping my hand in front of her so she stays more or less closed up. She's almost 25 pounds, and a handfull.

Yikes! Sounds like you're ready for the laundry basket suggestion!

dalano73 said:
I just pick my big sulcata up with two hands and it's normally for short distances. He is only 35 pounds so it's not so bad right now and he has gotten use to me doing it. The other two can still pretty much fit in one hand so I pretty much carry them one hand on top and one on the bottom for support...

How long did it take your big one to get used to it? Lightning is about 1 1/2 times the length of my hand when he is extended, so it sounds like he is in between.

Status
Not open for further replies.