Best Tortoise to have in utah

Location (City and/or State)
UT
Hi I'm Nikki and thinking about getting a tortoise. But I live in Utah. What are some of the best tortoises to have here?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
  1. Desert tortoise.
  2. Russian tortoise.
  3. Sulcata tortoise, if you have lots of room and don't mind heating and housing a tropical giant all winter.
  4. Greek tortoise.
  5. Leopard tortoise.
  6. Egyptian tortoise if you want something that stays small.
Some general info:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Above reply will get you a great start. Have fun and welcome.

wanderlust

Northern Utah
Hi! I'm in Utah, too. We recently inherited two Russian tortoises from an elderly lady who passed away and had a tortoise rescue in Nevada. These little guys have been fantastic! They have very different personalities. One is always on the go and the other is much shyer. We take them outside to their 8x4 enclosures every morning and they are always excited to go. We have cats so when they are inside for the night we put them in 40g breeder terrariums. I wish we could do a tortoise table but I know my 5 cats would harass them too much. We have an acre so feeding them in the summer is a breeze! In addition to all the weeds, grasses, and bushes that are naturally in our yard, we've also planted a pollinator garden with at least 10 varieties of plants that I found were safe for them to eat on the Tortoise Table app. Anyway, I'd highly recommend Russians. They are very easy to care for once you do some research.

I also hope to eventually adopt a desert tortoise. They are not adopting any out this year due to Covid-19. The original owner of my Russians had 3 desert tortoises and they were my absolute favorite out of all the tortoises she had but they had to stay in Nevada since they are a protected species.

In addition to those, she had redfoots which I did not feel I was the appropriate home for since they tend to do better in more humid climates with steady temps and Burmese black mountain tortoises which seemed to be aggressive and not something I felt in the position to handle.

Reactions: Tom

Tortenkainen

Provo, UT
Reviving this thread in search of Utahns and other people close by! I'm in Idaho with a young female Egyptian tortoise. Do any of you know reputable breeders in the area? Particularly thinking of Egyptians. Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Reviving this thread in search of Utahns and other people close by! I'm in Idaho with a young female Egyptian tortoise. Do any of you know reputable breeders in the area? Particularly thinking of Egyptians. Thanks!
This thread is 3 years old.

They have decided to list T. kleinmani on the ESA. You have until the end of this month to buy more Egyptians and have them shipped to you. If you miss this opportunity, you will only be able to buy the in your own state, and I don't know if anyone in UT is breeding them.